Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Player Collector Survey: What are the hardest cards to find?

2»

Comments

• CON40

I have the follwing just sitting here gathering dust:

1992 Stadium Club Dome Set.

1991 Score Baseball (minus a couple of cards I took out for my collection).

Please let me know if interested.

Chuck
    shark1fan@aol.com
    Chuck
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll chime in for the Gwynn collectors (which I'm sad to say, there don't seem to be many of on this board):

1. 84 Smokey the Bear Fire Safety
    2. 85 KAS potato chips
    3. 85 Thom Mcan disc
    4. 87 Bohemian Hearth Bread
    5. 85 7-11 disc

I know 2 of them are technically 'discs' and not 'cards', but those are the 5 toughest to get (of his pre 1990) cards. >>

onegaucho: You can count me as a Gwynn collector since the time I met him in college in 1979. He (along with Bench) are my two favorite players of all time. I have a slew of oddball Gwynn stuff since I started doing the card shop thing while in the SD area in the ealr 80s. It's been a long time since I even looked at any of that stuff so I really don't know what I have (the Smokey the Bear does ring a bell though). I know for sure I have a full 84 Mother's (Pads) set in pristine condition.
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Found this thread while looking up some rare cards I am searching for in my player collections, and thought it would be a fun and informative read.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own the Luis Tiant Master Set...the set is 100% complete, and #1 in the Registry. I would say there are perhaps 10 cards that you just don't see up on eBay, or anywhere else. Took me right at 5 years to get it all done. I think the Venezuelan's and a very rare Pickoff Card from Italy and the UK are just about impossible to get. The UK version I found to be very odd that it was included in the Composition...the only difference in the two cards was some French mice type on the back of the UK version...but, it was get it, or don't finish.

I also own the Bill Lee Master Set...a few tough cards in there, but I managed to get it done, also at 100%, and #1 in the Registry.

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the five toughest Garvey issues (aside from the Topps Test Coin variants, which aren't cards at all), are:
    1972 Venezuelan
    1979 Mattel
    1986 Wallich Enterprises Sports Cards
    1981 FBI Disc
    1978 RC Cola Iron-On

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Well of the list I posted in this thread 15 years ago, I've picked up four of the five. I'm still convinced 1985 Raiders Police is the same as 1985 Raiders/Rams Police despite Beckett listing two separate cards. For a new list, I'm going to have to cheat a little and go into the 90's.

1. 1986 Dairy Pak rare colors. Red, Blue, and Green are easy, but find me a Yellow or Purple or Light Blue with Red picture and text

2. 1993 Action Packed Mint parallel. Serial numbered to 500 so should be easy to find, but I've never seen an Allen and only a handful of others

3. 1994 Collector's Choice Spanish Promos. Never seen one, none of any player on Worthpoint

4. 1996 Chiefs Star Price Chopper. Never seen one, none of any player on Worthpoint

5. 1996 Topps Laser Promo (large team name). Never seen one, none of any player on Worthpoint

6. 1997 Fleer Decade of Excellence Rare Traditions. I'm convinced this set was never printed. It was supposedly 10% of the print run of Decade of Excellence, which should make it easy to find. Baseball and Basketball versions are easy to find. Never seen one of any player, none on Worthpoint, and none ever graded by PSA

No such details will spoil my plans...
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killebrew;
    62 Salada coin variation (name printed horizontally)
    67/68 disc (not even sure what year it was)
    59 Dad's cookies
    57-59 Don Wingfield photocard (B&W)
    67 stand-up

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

@AlanAllen said:
    Well of the list I posted in this thread 15 years ago, I've picked up four of the five. I'm still convinced 1985 Raiders Police is the same as 1985 Raiders/Rams Police despite Beckett listing two separate cards. For a new list, I'm going to have to cheat a little and go into the 90's.

1. 1986 Dairy Pak rare colors. Red, Blue, and Green are easy, but find me a Yellow or Purple or Light Blue with Red picture and text

2. 1993 Action Packed Mint parallel. Serial numbered to 500 so should be easy to find, but I've never seen an Allen and only a handful of others

3. 1994 Collector's Choice Spanish Promos. Never seen one, none of any player on Worthpoint

4. 1996 Chiefs Star Price Chopper. Never seen one, none of any player on Worthpoint

5. 1996 Topps Laser Promo (large team name). Never seen one, none of any player on Worthpoint

6. 1997 Fleer Decade of Excellence Rare Traditions. I'm convinced this set was never printed. It was supposedly 10% of the print run of Decade of Excellence, which should make it easy to find. Baseball and Basketball versions are easy to find. Never seen one of any player, none on Worthpoint, and none ever graded by PSA

Good to see you back here Joe! Still in Cleveland or did you make it back to LA?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 2:50AM

1983 Portuguese os records Joe Louis boxing card. I'm not even sure what company made this card. I stumbled onto it by pure dumb luck one Saturday on Ebay. I pounced on it like a wild man. It's a mythical card. Apparently a company in portugal made these cards and they came in an album with other athletes. I have also seen the 1983 Portuguese os records Bjorn Borg card from the same album. Nothing about them exists on the internet. I just got lucky to come across it that day. Man, I love rare, hard to find oddballs.

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

@Griffins said:

@AlanAllen said:

Good to see you back here Joe! Still in Cleveland or did you make it back to LA?

Neither, in central Illinois now. Gotta go where the work is. Good to see some familiar faces :)

No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2019 6:20AM

What a great thread! Some great player collectors represented, many of which are no longer active on the boards.
    AlanAllen, glad to see you're still at it, your Marcus Allen collection is one of my favorites!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my Johnny Bench collection it would have to be the 1968-70 Shillito's and Jamesway Trucking. These both look similar to the Partridge Meats but with different advertising.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Bench

Killebrew

Garvey

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

I want, NEED that Killebrew disc!!!!!!!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Al, I ne> @bishop said:

Bench

Killebrew

Garvey

Al, I never get tired of seeing your collection!

• Agree with Redlegs about the 68-70 Shillito and Jamesway Trucking. I would throw in the 68 Uniroyal, all of Johnny bench. I actually visited a collector that had all three in the last 3 months. Unfortunately none for sale.

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

The 1970 Dayton Brock is the highest graded ……...very lucky to have purchased it raw off of E-Bay !
    The two panels are the only panels I've ever seen for sale on E-bay ! I wouldn't say they are rare , but none the less
    hard to find !

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robby said:

The 1970 Dayton Brock is the highest graded ……...very lucky to have purchased it raw off of E-Bay !

I don't think PSA currently recognizes many of the variations for this set, but there's another Brock possible, #80 with 1970 stats, also.

@LarkinCollector said:

@Robby said:

I don't think PSA currently recognizes many of the variations for this set, but there's another Brock possible, #80 with 1970 stats, also.

There are two Killebrew's as well. PSA needs to fix this.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@Robby said:

There are two Killebrew's as well. PSA needs to fix this.

Agreed, the set name should be updated to 1970-71 and there are dozens of VARs documented in 4192's pdf and TCDB that should be additional info on the flip. Sadly, given the effort to correct, I would guess the 'fix' would be to label the set 'No Longer Grading'.

Regardless, if someone runs across any of the golfers for sale, please let me know ;) I have 11 of them so far, but missing the big names and could use condition upgrades on the rest.

Sadly, given the effort to correct, I would guess the 'fix' would be to label the set 'No Longer Grading'.

That would be the wrong thing to do as far as I am concerned. If there's a checklist published the set should be corrected.

It wouldn't surprise me. They decided that only one of my three different 1967 punchouts are allowed in the Master Set.

@JoeBanzai said:

Sadly, given the effort to correct, I would guess the 'fix' would be to label the set 'No Longer Grading'.

That would be the wrong thing to do as far as I am concerned. If there's a checklist published the set should be corrected.

It wouldn't surprise me. They decided that only one of my three different 1967 punchouts are allowed in the Master Set.

I agree ……….I would not want to have the dreaded " No Longer Grade " label ! And yes , I am aware of the variation for Brock , as I have that one also ……...ready to grade , if and when they ever recognize the variations !

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

And like you said ……..the Brock's clearly have two different numbers ……..# 80 and # 88 ……...….but the photos are the same ! I'll post a side by side picture when I get the chance to scan them ! ! The Killebrew's are two different pictures ……...which are really nice BTW !

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

@Robby said:

The Killebrew's are two different pictures ……...which are really nice BTW !

Thanks, I have one ready to send to PSA that's a KILLER!

Stats are from different years too, this should be an easy fix PSA.

It took me forever to find the scarcer variation of the 1969 MLB Photostamps for my Bench collection

This one was incredibly tough to find.

• QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

Brooks Robinson
    1967 Topps 3D
    1961 Topps Dice Game
    1967and 68 Disc
    1976 English’s Chicken kid
    1969 Rawlings Promo
    1972 Topps Candy Lid
    1973 Topps Comic
    1964 Full Bazooka Stamp Panel

@QUITCRAB said:
    Brooks Robinson
    1967 Topps 3D
    1961 Topps Dice Game
    1967and 68 Disc
    1976 English’s Chicken kid
    1969 Rawlings Promo
    1972 Topps Candy Lid
    1973 Topps Comic
    1964 Full Bazooka Stamp Panel

I have never heard of ' 1976 English's Chicken Kid ' ………………….until now ! Looked it up in the pop report and saw one lone card graded ……...Mike Cuellar …….Psa 1...………...and was only in Baltimore for Oriole players ! Anyone got a picture to post of one ?????
    Robbie

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

Very neat item ………….the lid size's are big at 8 3/8 inches in diameter ! Being
    a lid on a bucket of chicken ………...…..can't be too many mint copies in existence ,
    unless employees of the chicken chain took some home if they were a collector !
    Has anyone replaced Bob Lemke's knowledge in the hobby for the SCD ????

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

@redlegs said:
    This one was incredibly tough to find.

Tremendous Bench Uniroyal and so tough!

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say any Bob Uecker all star card. Sorry I couldn't resist.