Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1994-P SMS nickel pops. jump

I updated my spread sheet for the mint set only registry set on 7/24 and while checking the set today I noticed a jump in the numbers. The 1994 SMS nickel went from 468 to 500 in ms69fs and increased from 3 to 4 in ms70fs. Thats a big percentage increase for both grades. Joe

Comments

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it time to expect a price drop?
  • Options
    Perhaps 33 crackouts and 1 upgrade? SEND IN THE OLD CERTS !
  • Options
    Good, I still need one! image

Ken
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I know where 1 70 is image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    And one just sold here.
  • Options
    Dont know if anyone caught the thread on the U.S. Coin forum about Heritages auction last night. Modern Jeff prices are headed DOWN, and HARD....1994-P SMS MS69FS went for $89???? Dark days ahead for Jeffs, it looks like.
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Boy, I hate to tell you what I paid for my 69-- oh well, even the best major leaguers only get a hit once every three times up.
    DSW
  • Options
    Lawman....when you say you hate to say what you paid, was it one of your two K's or was it your single hit that gave you a .333 average??
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Mark

maybe it's just me, maybe not, but based on your reply here and on the thread at the U.S. Forum it seems your recent sale experience has soured you on the series and on Moderns as a whole. i pruchased a subject coin for about $80 a year and a half ago while they were selling regularly at $125 and higher. about a year ago i picked up a 1997 for $160, so i'd say timing is everything!!!!

while your opinion is that Jeffs are dead or dying, it's been offered by several that sale venue along with seasonal lulls may have affected the recent auction prices. my bet, and i'm holding what i have, is that prices willrise in the short term as well as the long. perhaps not at the pace which some would like, but thinking in that manner pushes us each to the edge of "investor" which we all know is a dirty word.

collecting a series i enjoy and building my knowledge of the same is in itself a healthy reward. by your own admission you purchased your collection already holdered and missed the enjoyment of "making" the coins at a significantly lower cost and thus, bigger reward at sale. i'm always, always, always looking for raw coins that might make the grade. i'm also always, always, always looking for holdered coins that made the grade and are priced at a level i think is sane. to date that approach has served me well. my collection isn't anywhere near to complete but my "investment" is substantially smaller than yours probably was for the same issues and hence, my "reward" at point of sale will be bigger, if that's what i choose to do.

bottom line would be not to bemoan the upward move of prices when we hamstring ourselves at the purchase point. if the spread beat you in this round, try a different approach next time, but please, i hope you won't let your poor judgement and high expectation influence other collectors and the direction they might take.

hold me to this-------Jefferson prices are going to move up faster than the pop numbers in the next several years and you will some day be saying Why didn't I hold!!??!! one of the secrets i've found to joy in collecting is to make wise choices and to have faith in the direction i choose my collection to take.

al h.image
  • Options
    I noticed the posts my MassFS. I didn't comment because I don't follow FS Jeffs closely. I did notice MFS is now selling his modern Commems so Keets is probably right in thinking MFS has soured on moderns as whole.

I do love these Matte format SMS coins and think they will hold their value even if %10 more were made in 69. The Coin and Currency sets they come from are limited editions and are still holding their value. I've sold a few recently and bought a few also and found priced firm.

I like the Mattte nickels as they are beautiful and have a tiny mintage compared to both business and proof strike Jeffs. They have a very different look from both the business and proof strikes too, there is no confusing low grade matte coins with business strike coins like with the '65-'67 SMS coins.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    jeffs are deffinately worth keeping al, I almost missed your reply. I have sold MOST of what was owned, including most pop top jefferys to boardmembers who really needed the coin in their set to help close some wholes. I however have kept every raw error, martys super capitol display and boxes, 2 full books which 1 was put togther by a board member and I paid dearly for it, and its worth every cent. I also have 11 41 Large S, and quite a few raw 55D/S, 43 DDO and some other wildly toned nickels in each book. Only one hard to find raw which I never got was 54S/D.

as for both 94&97SMS, you'll find 2 of the most killer sets avail ebay.

Ive been thru some....ALOT image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill