Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Received: New 1893-CC PCGS AU-58 $20 Gold Coronet Liberty Double Eagle -- Photos

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am really excited to have finally purchased a long time goal of mine, a choice AU (nearly mint state) Carson City $20 Gold Coronet Liberty Double Eagle. image

I'm expecting to receive the coin from the seller later this week. Here she is:

1893-CC PCGS AU-58 $20 Gold Coronet Liberty Double Eagle

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    Wow, great looking coin. I myself want to get one of these in my future, good job.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Again, another fine score there Stuart.image

Oh, if you don't mind divulging the info...$1750/$1800 for it?
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Exceptionally nice U.S. gold, I'm lovin' it!
  • Options
    The coin is TERRIBLE and you should send it to me immediately on arrival. image Kidding aside, a very nice looking coin and a better date also! Congrats!
  • Options
    CoinGuy89, RazorFace, MHammerman & CarsonCityGold: Thanks for your posts and for your positive comments on my new 1893-CC PCGS AU-58 $20 Gold Coronet Liberty!!

CarsonCityGold: I would appreciate any background that you could provide on the 1893-CC. SInce I purchased it as a CC $20 Lib type coin, I am not that familiar with the CC $20 Lib series -- I have just always wanted to own a nearly mint state fully lustrous coin with relatively few contact marks... image

I did check what Mike Fuljenz & Doug Winter had to say about this last year CC $20 Lib in their Type 3 $20 Lib book -- but that and Breen is all that I have researched so far on this date/mm.

Thanks in advance for whatever additional info you can provide.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    CC gold is cool. Nice coin!!
  • Options
    The 93CC $20 has been a high demand, and therefore my comment "better date", for a number of reasons. Its a relitively low production date and the last year of the Carson City Mint. Very few saw any circulation. Of the 511 slabbed by PCGS - 373 are AU55 or higher making it slightly more affordable to find a nice looking example. Compared to the 77CC $20 with a similar number of 478 total slabbed, but with only 81 in AU55 or better. Most collectors like to buy coins with great eye appeal (like your coin). Your coin has great appeal to me. It has a natural look to it, especially on the obverse. The different tones or shades of gold are natural and tells us that probably no one has ever dipped it trying to stretch it to a MS coin. Great Buy!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Stuart,

Beautiful coin! When I get home this evening I will pull out Doug Winter's book on Carson City gold and give you some more info on the 93-CC $20.

Robert
  • Options
    Don, techeff, CarsonCityGold & Robert: Thanks for your posts and feedback on my new 1893-CC PCGS AU-58 $20 Gold Coronet Liberty Double Eagle.

Robert: I'll be interested to see what other info you can dig up on the 1893-CC. Thanks for offering your assistance!

Stuart

• Options
    I was just looking at that coin. Beautiful slider.
  • Options
    Extremely nice coin.
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    I also love to go through rolls to find coins.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options
    Coinerww & KlectorKid: Thanks for your posts on my 1893-CC $20 Lib!!

Stuart

• Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    kewl
    J'har
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Beautifull coin. AU-58 gold is one of my favourites, especially when it has a CC mintmarkimage

Dennis
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice get Stuart!!

Looks very eye appealing!

Was I about right on my pricing info I gave you?

John
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmm... AU coins ROCK!

Here's why

Congrats!

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Nice find Stuart! image
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    Thanks J'har, Dennis, John, Jeremy & Bill!! As you can tell I'm really excited about owning such a beautiful and historic coin!

During my search for this coin, I was looking for a CC $20 Liberty with strong eye appeal, lots of mint luster, strong strike (incl. fully struck obv. stars), minimal contact marks and very mimimal evidence of circulation -- i.e. a near-miss MS-63...

After searching around for a while I realized that all of the above are very tough to find in a CC $20 Lib, so i was very pleased when I found this coin and had the opportunity to purchase it...

Stuart

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Stuart,

That is one fine looking coin. I just sent back a 63 that did not have the eye-appeal of that guy! ('course, it wasn't PCGS) image
    Wondo

• Options
    Wondo: Thanks for sharing your experience. That's very interesting and helps to prove up my theory that a really choice high eye-appealing AU-58 (more like AU-59.5) can be as attractive as an MS-62 or 63 version of the same coin.

And for CC $20 Libs, that can be quite a commercial pricing difference!!

Stuart

• Options
    I am no CC expert. Paraphrasing the Doug Winter book:

Mintage: 18,402
    Rarity Ranking: Overall: 10 of 19; High Grade: 16 of 19.

The 1893 isamong the most readily available CC $20's in higher grades.
    Surfaces: Usually very heavily bagmarked. Sometimes seen with reasonably clean surfaces.
    Luster: Above average. Many show nice frosty luster and a number are semi-prooflike.
    Coloration: Rich yellow-gold or medium orange-gold. Some with pleasing coppery hues. Many are extensively copper-spotted; some detracting enough to lower the grade.
    Eye appeal: The 1893-CC is found with better overall eye appeal than most CC $20's making it a popular choice for a type coin.

Two die varieties--(very detailed description--too much for me to type)

Total known: 750-850
    VF: 25-30
    EF: 125-150
    AU: 350-395
    MS: 250-27

Condition Census (as of 2001): One NGC-64, twelve MS-63's between both services

"The 1893-CC double eagle is almost never seen in grades below AU-50, suggesting that this issue saw very little circulation. It is most often seen in AU-55 to MS-60 and examples in this grade range are easily located. It becomes scarce in MS-62 and it is rare in MS-63, although more exist in this grade than nearly any other double eagle from this mint."

Sorry in advance for any typos--I am transcribing as fast as I can. If you get a chance to pick up DW's book, Gold Coins of the Carson City Mint, you will not be disappointed. There is a history of Carson City and the CC Mint and a date-by-date analysis of each gold coin issued by the mint.

• Options
    That's a great looking coin Stuart! These classic coins graded AU are some great coins, they really show some real character.

Frank
  • Options
    Robert: Thanks for providing the background info on the 1893-CC from Doug Winter's CC $20 Lib Book.

Frank: Thanks for both your post and your PM regarding this coin.

Stuart

• Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    Yet another classic has been added to the Stuart cabinet of beautiful rare coins...

Say didn't I just type this recently for your newly aquired Morgan?...hey Stuart slow down...I'm burning up my key pad...lol... image

Congrats-Don-Gemini
  • Options
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thanks Gemini and CoinKat!!

Stuart

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I consider all CC gold relatively rare and high grade CC gold down right rare. This looks to be an exceptional piece of the final year of CC production - Congratulations Stuart! image
  • Options
    Frank: Thanks for your post and for your compliments on my new 1893-CC $20 Coronet Liberty Double Eagle image

Stuart

• Options
    An update to say that I received this 1893-CC PCGS AU-58 $20 Gold Coronet Liberty Double Eagle yesterday (Friday) and am very pleased to report that she looks just as beautiful in person as in the photo posted earlier in this thread. image

The coin has very strong beautiful full gold cartwheel mint luster exhibited on almost Semi-Prooflike field surfaces, with full strong strike (all stars fully struck) and a minimum of contact marks.

In person the coin looks like an MS-62 to MS-63 Liberty Double Eagle, exhibiting with no frost breaks in the fields of the coin, with perhaps only the very slightest perceptible rub or frost breaks (?) on the cheek of Miss Liberty.

It will be fun to compare this coin with other mint state & AU CC $20 Liberties that I am able to find at local coin shows. It's truly a beautiful and historic coin which I am very proud to own.

Stuart

• Options
    It will be fun to compare this coin with other mint state & AU CC $20 Liberties that I am able to find at local coin shows. It's truly a beautiful and historic coin which I am very proud to own.

Good luck in finding MS CC $20's to compare at local coin shows. I NEVER see coins like that at local shows in St. Louis. Congratulations again on your purchase. Enjoy.

Robert
  • Options
    Robert: Thanks for your post, your kind words about my new 1893-CC $20 Gold Liberty and for sharing your insight.

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file