Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

UPDATE ON MY SUBMISSIONS....MY PREVIOUS POST

My last post I was undoubtably surprised (and sort of complaining) about my three FREE submissions to PCGS. Thanks for all of your posts and ideas on what to do with the miserable coins. The christmas tree comments really were funny. Anyway, I posted the grades for you all BEFORE I had actually received the coins back (72', 76' & 78' Proof Lincolns). WELL, I received the coins on Friday and I now completely understand WHY they gave them the grades that they did. All three coins were incredibly HAZED OVER, STREAKED, THE WHOLE NINE YARDS!!!! I purchased these RAW Lincolns on eBay...for about $4.00 a piece......and never again will I do that!!!!! Lesson learned. Sad thing is...this same seller has probably close to 200-300 proof lincolns in their "eBay Store" dating from 1960's to current (I will not mention any names).

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? I have heard the term "windexed" before....but...this is ridiculous. Can someone explain what "windexing" a coin means????? ONE THING IS FOR SURE...I FELL FOR THAT ONE HOOK, LINE AND SINKER. Oh well. It won't happen again. I wasted three gradings....that's what REALLY bothers me.

Comments

• Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Did you put the coins in polybags? They've figured out that the polybags create hazing on proof coins, and don't suggest you pack proofs that way anymore...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    What do you reccomend to put the proofs into for sending in to be graded?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried burning little pinprick holes in the slab and dipping the slab/coin and all in Jeweluster.

Oh, forgot to add: it doesn't work.

peacockcoins

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased these RAW Lincolns on eBay...for about $4.00 a piece......and never again will I do that!!!!! Lesson learned. >>

Toby, what lesson did you learn? That buying modern proof Lincolns raw for $4.00 a piece is a bad deal? I would say if your objective is to own PR68 & PR69 and maybe PR70 DCAM Lincolns, then your best bet is to buy them slabbed. If you are trying to outguess the graders at PCGS and make some money at the same time, then you must accept the risk involved. I am not a professional grader and I don't pretend to be. I KNOW grading is subjective and therefore full of risk if monitary benefit is primary. Fortunately for me, I can appreciate a nice looking Lincoln proof cent (with no spots) that is thirty years old and is just a proof 66 because of some haze. And it is worth the $4. Heck, I paid around $6 for them in the 1980's. JMHO. Steveimage