Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What do you think about haveing a showcase registry?

....having a registry where a person can plug in all thier PCGS coins.

Another thought is to require the sets to be open (you can actually see what's in them) and pics on coins put in such a registry.

My thought here is that there are a lot of collections that dont really fit into any registry set. I would like to see something created where those collectors can display their collections to where other people can appriciate or enjoy them. I'll probably get flamed, but I thought I'd through the thought out there.

The biggest issue I see is how to rank such collections. That's a different mater that could be covered if the idea ever got any serious concideration. Afterall, who wants to see someone plug in 500 MS66RD-68RD 2004-D cents and take the lead. Right now, I just want to address the thought as to whether it's something that people would like to see.

David

Comments

• Options
    I could see it!

Katrina
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    David,
    I think your idea is great. The problem I see with this becoming reality is that each of us look at this registry thing and the posting of pictures differently. I, as well as most of us Lincoln cent collectors would LOVE to see Stewart's and Gerry's collection shown in a showcase registry. I believe that even if those two gentlemen were agreeing to do it, they probably don't have the time or interest to learn how to post pictures on the PCGS site. They probably don't even take pictures of their coins so the reality of this is slim to none. My proof collection is up because I did take the time to learn to at least take the pictures (not great by any means) and then learned how to post them to the internet and to the PCGS site at a size the site would accept. All this is something most of the top collectors just wouldn't bother with learning. My motivation for doing this was simply I love my collection. Many who use the registry for the competition and search for top pop coins might enjoy your idea. (Attempt to rank). I personally would be satisfied to just see the coins without making it a competition. Good luck.
    Steve image
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

I would be more than happy to image either of those guys set free of charge. To be honest though, skylock takes much better images than myself. I would like to see him image those coins for the viewing pleasure of everyone. I do, however, see your point on the pics. There would be a lot of collectors that would avoid the showcase section if the pics were required. However, how can it be a "show" case set if you cant look at something. I also agree that not all pics are equal, but something is better than nothing, and anyone that is wanting to put their coins out there to be seen (and this would be the only incentive if there were no rankings) would try to have nice pics.

I also agree that ranking is less important in a registry such as this. The only problem without it, is the order.

David
  • Options

David,

Shylock did image part of Stewart's and Gerry's sets. They were posted on the net somewhere, but I don't have a link. If I remember correctly, it was only a few coins imaged from each set.

I am sure someone on the boards knows the whereabouts of those pics.

Jack

• Options
    Jack,

I dont know where they are either. I do know those are better pics than I can take with my rinky-dink camera.

I still like the idea of requireing pics for sets included there.

I was really wanting a place where people can post non-traditional collections. Lincolns already have a registry set, though I guess there's no way to be able to stop "regular" sets from being posted there.

Moot points, though.... what are the odds of something like this happening. Heck, Lincoln cent collectors have been screaming for a short set for years....

David
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great to see the scope of other members' interests. Before discovering the Registry, I collected somewhat haphazardly, buying whatever caught my eye, and accumulating coins in many different series. Most of my slabs will fit into an existing Registry set, but I have multiples of some coins, and think it would be neat to see everything listed in one place, the ultimate PCGS inventory. Fortunately, most of my slabs are PCGS. UNfortunately, while I would like to see pictures of everyone's coins be required, it would take a long time to prepare and post pics of all my slabs.

As for ranking, I believe that would be difficult, unless it was based on total value. That has its drawbacks as well. Someone with a single extremely valuable coin could have a higher ranking than a person with a more diversified and interesting collection. It makes more sense to just assign numbers in the order in which the sets are entered into the Registry. That way, when you're viewing the sets, you might spend a day looking at sets numbered 1 through 10, another day for sets 11 through 20, etc., and not lose track of which sets you've already viewed.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Jim,

Here's an example of the type of stuff I'm talking about. While everyone wouldnt be pluging in rainbows, I'm sure there are people out there that just collect what catches their eye. That stuff is the kind of coins I'd like to see....

David
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Those are some gorgeous coins, David. They're hard to find like that, but it's even harder to find a wife that collects. Great photos, too!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    It is an interesting thought, but there would be great difficulty in assigning relative
    weighting, ranking the sets, etc. What might be a more practical idea would be
    doing something outside of the set registry boundaries and getting someone with
    a website to host that sort of thing, with just people putting up sets for enjoyment
    sake.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.