Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oliver Jung Collection

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know how much Oliver Jung paid for his collection that sold for $5.6 million this past week? It seems there were a lot of recent additions (maybe I'm wrong), so I am curious what the approximate cost basis was.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I also agree he seems to have had many recent additions.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

I remember the sale well. On July 23, 2004, in New York, ANA auctioned the sale of Oliver Jung's type set, which was comprehensive and terrific, one of the best type sets of all time. I, too, was under the impression that he had purchased some of the coins not long before that sale. I covered that event for Numismatic News newspaper.

As it turns out, he started what seems to be another type set. If so, it is far from complete and some (or all) of it is being auctioned at the ANA convention. I have already written about two of the most famous coins in the new 'set,' one of which was in the old set as well.

The Cutest of Apple Cheeks: The Jackman-Jung 1794 large cent

The Norweb 1797 Half Dollar, among the top five of the entire Draped Bust ‘Small Eagle’ type
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file