I cannot believe it

And I had him on my fantasy team too

He says he wants to travel the world and is retiring early.. WAY early
"There is a reason hidden behind everything we do in life" - Me
"We always strive toward perfection, even though we can never achieve it"
"Joy wouldn't feel so good if it weren't for Pain."

Comments

• Options
    i've known him since he was at UT, im gonna call him tomorrow and see what the hell is up
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    all i can say is wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if he sticks to this retirement it will be talked about for 50 years! great running back great guy a shame he retired this early!
  • Options
    There goes the Dolphins. He's a real team player. image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly a surprise but not a shock. He's very rich and obviously loves his marijuana. He now never has to work the rest of his life, and can stay high all the time without worrying about NFL drug tests.
  • Options
    He wants to be Barry Jr, but forgot to achieve greatness before hanging them up.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Why is everyone surprised, he's been a nutcase since he entered the NFL.
  • Options
    This is what big money signing bonuses do to these players. I got my cash screw you. Now being a Pats fan. WTG Rickey!
  • Options
    maybe he's going to go back to baseball??
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    grrrrr At least I know no one will be outbidding me on some active bids for Ricky stuff. Kinda also makes me feel better not dropping the $200 on an autographed helmet.

Sucks he can do that to the "Dolphins" as an organzation. Did he only sign a 2 year deal? For what they "spent" on him I would have locked him in even if he refused to play sit his butt on the bench.

O well I will get over it. I will still be a Dolphins fan.

EDIT
    Is Eddie George available?
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>Is Eddie George available? >>

Nope, signed a 1-year deal with the Cowboys.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Nice for Ricky to wait and announce that right after George signs with Dallas...I agree, not a real team guy there.

And, with a week to go until camp!
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Aknot -- Teams can cut players and leave them high and dry as well. The sword cuts both ways.

mercurynut -- Did he get a big bonus with the Dolphins? I thought that most bonuses were predicated on playing but were just paid upfront. He certainly didn't get a big one with the Saints when he negotiated his own lame contract.
  • Options
    Yeah but USUALLY the player and or team knows it is coming and can make "plans" accordingly.
  • Options
    I worked in business with a guy in the early 90's that was a wide receiver for two years in the CFL. The Patriots invited him to camp with the "assurance" of being given a fair shake and advanced notice if they had no intentions of keeping him. He was cut on the final cut and was unable to join on with a CFL team since the season was 50% over. It effectively ended his football career. As a fan I feel bummed when a player does that kind of thing (like Ricky Williams) to my team, but I feel no remorse for the team ownership, which simply looks at the players as pieces of meat that can fill seats and sell merchandise.
  • Options
    So he made it up to a point and was cut? Sorry that is the way it goes. Its like a job interview you keep going to certain levels. Maybe someone "took" his job at the last minute. He was going to be "hired" until he was "outdone". What was the team supposed to do tell him before hand he had no chance when he actually did?
  • Options
    Exactly. So maybe Williams was going to play right up to the point where he decided he wasn't. As I said, it cuts both ways.
  • Options
    Unless he signed a contract for "X" years. Saying he would play. Regardless it sucks. Both ways.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    All I can say is GO JETS!
  • Options
    It is pretty obvious he expected to fail his next drug test.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he just wants to burn some fatties and suck hog without any body hassling him.
  • Options
    Ricky was always a bit out there and this really shouldn't surprise anyone. I don't really fault him for the decision or the timing. If he really didn't want to play anymore and this is when he came to that final decision, then so be it.

Those of you that say he's selfish for deciding now, would you prefer that he half-assed his way through a season that clearly he doesn't want to play and get paid for that half-assed effort? In a perfect world, he would have decided the day after last season ended and told everyone then. Given these other scenarios, I think his timing is fine.

The vast majority of the time, its the team that has the player over a barrel. This is one of those rare instances where the player clearly has the team over a barrel and I enjoy seeing the roles reversed.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vargha/Bags,
    You guys have a good point now that I think of it, I stand by my opinion of Ricky being a freak though, but looking at it from a different angle I guess I can also say good for him, I dont know what the NFL is about so maybe Ricky had enough and just said F- off to it, in any cut throat bussiness you gotta look after number one.