Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What grade do you think this Gordie Howe RC will get?

The back of the card is clean.. no marks.. stains etc.. No creases except the little ones around the top corners.

Click Here To View The Card

This is my very first card I have sent in to get graded. I sent it to SGC.. If I don't like the grade/holder I think I'll give PSA a try..

Anyway.. what grade do you think SGC will give it? What grade do you think PSA would give it (if different)?

Comments

• Options
    I say minimum SGC 40, possibly a 50 on that one. Very nice card, good luck!
  • Options

PSA is the way to go for graded vintage.
  • Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341
    Welcome to the boards, inFluX. That's a very nice Howe RC you got there. I have bid on many in the past using eBay only to get outbid by people like you! (joking)

As for the grade, Fisherboy makes it quite clear, anywhere between SGC 40 - 50 would be my guess as well.

What other vintage hockey cards do you own?

~Ranch
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree...SGC 40-50 all the way.

I think PSA would give it the same grade...3-4

Nice cardimage

Steve
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Nice Howe! I think it will pull in a VG grade. So an SGC 40/3 or a PSA 3.
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome and for the compliments on the card. image

<< <i>What other vintage hockey cards do you own? >>

Not too many.. I collected a lot when I was younger in the '90s even started setting up in flea markets selling and trading when I was 12 years old. Got out of it because the hobby changed so drasticly.. Pack prices went up so high.. inserts galore.. too many brands and variants.. I recently started collecting again though however refuse to get into any of the new stuff. I'll only collect stuff from '51 to the 80's if I want to open a pack of something I would rather spend the money on a old wax pack than the new stuff.

I have 2 howe rc's. The other one is in poor condition. One crease going from one end to the other.. colors arent as bright and corners are much worse. 3 Gretzky OPC RC's (If they even count as being vintage). One of them I would like to get graded I think it's well worth a PSA 8 it's pretty close to perfect in my opinion. Every since Gretzky card from the 80's.. A Bobby Orr RC which is also in amazing condition. I'm going to see what SGC gives my Howe than go from there. I would like all these cards graded. I may ebay them in a few months. My wife and I are moving into a brand new place and I'm sure a lot of unexpected costs will pop up. image but... I'm going to keep scrounging around for the big named players RC's for cheap and hopefully I'll be able to keep them. image
  • Options
    Looks like a PSA3 or 4 to me and I wish I had it, nice card.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    Nice Howe...

Providing the top two corners are not creased (hard to tell by scan) I agree with the rest,

possibly a psa 4-5.
    hockeybonkers@yahoo.ca
  • Options
    Got my cards back from SGC! Yaaa.. The Howe got a 50 VG/EX 4 yaaa! Check it out here. image

1st OPC Gretzky Rookie got a 60 EX 5
    2nd OPC Gretzky Rookie got a 84 NM 7

I'm really happy with my first submission of cards to SGC they were very accurate in my option and I really like the holder.. the black really makes the cards stand out. HOWEVER... image

Take a look at these scans of the Durham Regional Police 'pre rookie card' of Eric Lindros that I also got graded.
    Front of the card
    Back of the card

That's pretty crappy.. I don't think I'll ever get another oversized 'tall boy' card graded by SGC again. image
  • Options
    Wow that's a sucky deal on that card. To be fair I have a T201 graded by PSA that slid in the holder. (Though not quite as bad) To be fair to both I'm pretty sure they'll reholder them, hopefully it didn't get damaged.
    Collector of T201 Mecca double folders. Graded and Raw...
  • Options
    I'm going to try and knock it back into the middle.. if it won't go I guess I'll e-mail them.. good to hear this doesn't only happen with sgc..
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Great job on the Howe!!!! It is a really nice looking card. The only thing I don't like about SGC is the thin razor sharp black insert they use which causes damage on the card's edges and sliding since the insert is also very thin. I thought the same was going to happen with GAI, but their black inserts are thicker and beveled (sp? word?).....they somehow rounded that inner part of the plastic insert so it wouldn't damage edges or let the cards slide.
    Influx, I was rooting for ya. I thought the Gretzky had a chance for
    an 8 grade. Didn't know it was going to SGC. Thought it was PSA.
    Anyways, at least they're real and didn't get rejected. I know this is gonna sound corny, but everytime I see your icon of nose picker Ralph....I feel for ya...it's almost like I'm replying to Ralph the slow dim witted kid LOL. Also, keep us updated on that Babe Ruth card when you get it back. Take care.
  • Options
    Actually that Gretzky in question has yet to be graded.. These 2 other Gretzky's were shipped off to SGC quite some time ago.

and I don't have a Ruth.. I have a bobby orr RC.. though waiting for grading along with that Gretzky.. So keep rooting for me! image

Oh and as for the Lindros.. I banged it around to get it back into the center.. Had it hit it around pretty hard.. I was surprised the case didn't crack open or break in some form.

"I bent my wookie"image
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Opps, sorry influx....wrong guy with the questionable Ruth.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    EagleEyeKid - You should check out the Network54 forum for some discussion of the vintage cards that have been damaged in the GAI holder.