Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone else receiving scam Ebay "second chance" emails???

Just received my second one this month. They expect you to send them $$$ for an item you did not win. There were 5 overbidders on the item , an AU55 Bust quarter, that was the subject of the email I received today.

I may have fallen off the turnip truck, but I didn't hit my head on the way down!!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Did it hurt?
  • Options
    Naw, I'm hard headed!!
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    You should email the seller of the item you bid on. These are legitimate offers if they came from the seller. It could be the high bidder backed out, didn't like the coin. Ebay does allow this .
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I agree with Bikingnut, go to the auction listing and us 'ask seller a question' to verify that this is a legitimate offer.
    In the past I have had second chance offers made to me on items where the high bidder backed out or where the seller had more than one item available.
  • Options
    I have done this a few times myself in the past. If I have more than one of the same item for sale, and I like the sale price, you can offer the item to who ever bid on the item. I will usually offer it to the 2nd and maybe the 3rd (if I have 3) person who bid. This is a totally legit and allowed by ebay. **BUT if you didn't bid on the item then iit could be a scam**

Dave
  • Options
    There are some auctions where I wish I would have gotten that email. But I'm sure we've all been there.
    Oh well... image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    As bikingnut and several members know, these ARE legitimate offers from the seller, under revised eBay rules and regulations.

Ebay does allow this for a number of different reasons. For example, if the seller's reserve is not met, he has the option to offer this appropriately named "Second Chance Offer" to as many underbidders as he sees fit. He can take the best bid and offer it to that one bidder or even a lower bid and offer it to several bidders for a designated length of time of his own choosing.

Afterall, he DID pay fees to try to sell the item. Ebay's motive...to try to realize final value fees. You may very well have missed out on an excellent opportunity by not knowing these rules.

Not EVERYTHING and or everyone on eBay has to do with scams. Maybe familiarize yourself with these things....sometimes it pays to know the rules. Not being aware of this indicates to me that you may not sell on eBay, am I right?
  • Options
    As I suspected, the seller confirmed that he didn't send or authorize the "second chance offer".

BEWARE OF SUCH SCAMS!!!!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one earlier this month on an expensive item, in fact I was out bid in the last few minutes, and thought I was going to get a chance to get it back, turned out to be a fake e-mail as I had expected.
  • Options
    i was bidding on a proof set just to try and rip it,sells for like 20 bucks over my bid of 15.09 i think.
    im like 10 bidders down the line and get the 2nd chance offer for my bid !
  • Options
    I will often second chance an item off of e-bay, its not for the same coin but one just as nice same yr and grade of course. The second chance offer is also good for what your highest bid was not the winning bid. There may be scams out there too, but just thought you'd like to know there is such a thing. So if you would be interested just e-mail the seller, may be ask to see a pic of the item if it isn't the same.

Good luck to you!

Katrina
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
  • Options
    I hesitate on second chance offers for fear the seller could have used a shill hoping someone would outbid the shill. Wanting to sell the item the seller may settle for your max bid. A bit paranoid yes. If the coin is hard to come by I jump on it. Joe
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one of these from a Bustman sale of a MS64 bust dime. I was the #3 bidder on it. According to the scam letter (not from Bustman) the other 2 backed out and I was being offered the lot. Just send the money is all they said. Right! Bustman later confirmed that the coin sold to the high bidder and that the letter I got was a fraud.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    This is good info.

It is also another reason why I "keep it simple". I only conduct business through the eBay system. I never buy or sell off of the eBay system (though I get many offers and requests to do so).

It makes things much easier. (of course I am doing this for pleasure and not the money) image

Joe.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I received one the other day. It looked fake to me but others thought it was real. I contacted the original seller through e-bay and i received responces from both the seller and the scammer! He could be watching these boards. How else could he have known I contacted the original seller with a question.

If the e-mails look real, it is tought to weed them out.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    This is good info! I didn't realize there was second chance scams.

I will still offer second chances, but its always through e-bay!

Does any one know of ways to spot fake offers from the real ones?

Katrina
  • Options

Does any one know of ways to spot fake offers from the real ones?

Katrina >>

Apply the old addages "there are no bargains in numismatics" and "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

I was overbid by 3-4 folks on my both of my bogus "second chance offer" proposals, and it simply didn't make sense that I would be offered coins at hundreds less that the overbidders offered.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file