Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay seller responded..UPDATE..Is it because he lost money on this one?

Well, I was suprised a couple days ago, after not getting any replies to any of my emails, I received a email from the seller stating that the coins were in the mail. I hadn't even paid for them yet. I assummed this transaction wasn't going to happen and gave up.The coins arrived today.They look great, Silver and Half dollar, better than expected. I quess I will go ahead and send out the money now. I guess you never know,huh? Below is the original post from the auction.

Randy

Here is a Auction Link that I won a few days ago. The auction description didn't provide very good details about the item, but you can pretty much figure out what the item is. I won the auction and have been trying to get shipping cost so I can send a check. Several emails have been sent without any response. I am assuming the seller realizes he lost money on the auction and is ignoring my emails hoping I will go away. What would you do in this case? It's not worth sending a negitive he has no history, he could easily just change his name and start over and I don't want to receive a neg. back. If I just forget about it, what if he didn't get emails and I recieve neg for non-payer.

Any suggestions from the forum are welcome...image

Thanks,
Randy

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic deal if he/she sends it to you for $12.00 and some change. Over that little amount, I would just not worry about it. Have eBay send you the contact information and then call him/her. If no satisfaction, leave it be.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Zero feedback seller with nothing to lose, I say your chances of getting that set for $12 is about the same as Ralph Nader winning the presidency in November.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    You're not going to hear from the seller or get the coins. Sorryimage

Added: Oops...I thought the gold coin was included.
  • Options
    been a member for a year and no feedback ?
    scammer most likely
    good luck

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Seller ran four auctions of which only one (the one you won) got any bids. No history of bidding on other items.

I guess you can keep trying via email, or you can get the seller's contact information through ebay.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    been a member for a year and no feedback ?

Maybe it just took him that long to write the item description...image
  • Options
    you should request his phone number from e-bay it is easy to do, call him. you won the auction
    Michael
  • Options
    It could just be their first time, I'd give them the benifit of the doubt.
    Try contacting them again through e-bay. Good Luck I hope to hear it all worked out!!

Katrina
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It could just be their first time, I'd give them the benifit of the doubt.
    Try contacting them again through e-bay. Good Luck I hope to hear it all worked out!!

Katrina >>

I would go with the above but it looks like a "Opps" could be in the making. image

Ken
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Report them to eBay and neg him if he doesn't respond after 10 days.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    "These coins, one silver dollar and one gold half dollar "

"This is also the first time since 1929 that the U.S. has issued a $5.00 coin"

"The gold coin honors and features the Statue of Liberty"

whaaat????????????? imageimageimage

If I'm gonna sell something like this and give eBay more money for more than one picture I'd at least take one picture of the coins themselves. Confusing description, bad pictures. If a 1986 gold coin is included, then I'm betting the seller reneges. Keep contacting him and try every available option and be very, very patient before posting a neg feedback.
  • Options

<< <i>Zero feedback seller with nothing to lose. >>

Actually, with zero FB, he dose have something to lose - a negative FB. That would scare away almost any future buyers/sellers. That could make things difficult for him in his next eBay venture.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Get his contact info, and call him directly. Email is easily ignored, but sellers often have a hard time ignoring a real human voice.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I think $12 is about right for a 1986 SOL $1 and 50c, maybe a little low. They don't sell for that much.

There is a $5 gold SOL that he rambles about, but not in this set.

Chances are the are hazed up POS. If you hear from him and want the set go for it, but I'd look for another set if I were you

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you are successful contacting him/her, I bet you will never see the coins. A convenient excuse I have run into in these situations is that the post office lost the insured parcel. It then allows the seller to buy a month or so of time before they refund your money. Of course, the coins were never sent and they were never lost, but everyone feels good at the end of the day.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a $5 gold SOL that he rambles about, but not in this set. >>

I think Relayer is correct. The gold is in a three piece set.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Here's the set you just won:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I just love the obverse of that SOL Half Dollar. If Mint wants a new design for a quarter or half, I'd go with something similar to that SOL half.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, if that is a gold half dollar, I would like one also.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    aem4162aem4162 Posts: 421
    it's a pretty set...i got mine when it came out...kmart was selling them
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    And who was the one who said there are no good deals on Ebay?

Just keep bugging the guy. Then go to Ebay and file a Non- Selling Seller complaint. If, He gives you a negative, Ebay will retract it.
    Good luck.

Zero Feedback. Let the Buyer Beware.
    Jeff

ps, Don't forget to save all your emails and requests. Very Important.
    Actually learning a few things here. What a great site.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options

<< <i>And who was the one who said there are no good deals on Ebay? >>

He paid about what the set is worth.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Actually there is at least one gold SOL half dollar...

imageimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I would say you are SOL on those SOL's
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    You got a silver dollar and a gold $5.00 all for $12.50??? Now that was a deal. Isn't the gold $5.00 worth a whole lot more?

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Actually what came was a silver dollar and silver half. No gold as the auction claimed. Did the seller substitute a silver half because the auction went too cheap or was he trying to scam someone? I assume he mailed the coins to me before payment hoping I just pay and not give him a neg..

What do you think?

Pay?
    Send back?
    Accept the free gift?
  • Options
    does the seller have proof of delivery ?
    if so he can just claim you switched the coins !
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pay?
    Send back?
    Accept the free gift? >>

Pay. Despite the cluelessness of the seller, you pretty much got your money's worth. Besides, you've been saying that it's a "silver" half dollar -- it ain't -- it's clad. Easy mistakes to make. I'd pay him, give him lightly positive FB, and move on.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay him and forget about it. You should have done your research and realized there were no "gold half dollars" made. The set you got was worth more than what your bid was.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

<< <i>Pay him and forget about it. You should have done your research and realized there were no "gold half dollars" made. The set you got was worth more than what your bid was. >>

I never said I thought I was buying a gold half dollar. I knew exactly what I would receive, that is why I only bid $12.50, it's actual value. I originally posted this thread because of the sellers questionable description, was it an effort to deceive buyers and when the auction sold for less than he probably wanted was that his reason for not responding to my emails so that I could complete the transaction. I had given up on the coins since I did not receive any replies. Then unexpectedly the coins show up in my mailbox without payment even being made for them. I will make payment for them since the coins are what I expected to receive, actually they are better than expected as far as condition goes. I will leave positive feedback for the seller, as it maybe just the fact that he is new to ebay and just made a few honest mistakes.

Randy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file