Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Walter Breen

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I read a brief snipet that Walter Breen had some problems with the law and spent some time in prison. Does anyone have any further details or know where I can get more background? Thanks.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Walter Breen (September 5, 1930(or possibly 1928?) - April 28, 1993) was a numismatist best known in coin collecting circles for writing Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins and U. S. Half Cents Encyclopedia. Walter Breen was a coin genius, able to keep thousands of facts about coins in his head. He also co-authored "California Fractional Gold".

The Breen numbers from his Encyclopedia are widely used to attribute varieties of coins.

A troubled individual in his personal life, he died in prison in Chino, California after pleading guilty to child molestation. The numismatic community was greatly shocked by this turn of events.

He reportedly wrote or co-wrote Greek Love under the pseudonym J.Z. Eglinton. This book attempts to justify sexual relationships between adult men and young boys.

Walter was married to science fiction writer Marion Zimmer Bradley in 1964. They separated in 1979. She apparently had some knowledge of his personal inclinations.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Don't think I want to post any links, but a google search will turn up what you are looking for.

BTW, one of my prized books is Breen's Encyclopedia that he signed for me in his traditional purple at the 1989 ANA.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walter Breen was clearly troubled as judged by society's standards. taken as a whole, though, he contributed much to our hobby and i'd hope he isn't condemned for his shortcomings, as repugnant as they are. if the truth were known about most of us and the skeletons hanging in our closets, who would be left standing??

i have two of Breen's works, the Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins and the Encyclopedia of United States HalfCents which are both quite intense. the former accompanys me whenever i go "hunting" for coins and has paid back it's $75 price at least 100 fold to date. it's far-and-away the best investment i've made in the hobby.

al h.image
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    " if the truth were known about most of us and the skeletons hanging in our closets, who would be left standing??"

How very true, it often happens that genius is accompanied by personal tragedies in people’s lives. Like keets my Breen book has been of great value to me in my collecting.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    There are skeletons and there are skeletons. I sure hope that there are relatively few of us walking around with Breen's kind of skeletons.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe Breen was much of a coin collector as much as a researcher of coins.

I also read somewhere that he graduated from Johns Hopkins University in something like 2 years so the guy was basicly a wonderkin. It's a real tragedy that he died when he did.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    There are skeletons and there are skeletons. I sure hope that there are relatively few of us walking around with Breen's kind of skeletons.

Well said!

Longacre, a google search turned up lots of info this has also been addressed on the CU and a search here will also tuen up info.

Separately, a conviction for child molestation is more than just a skeleton. If I were a judge, child molestors would never ever see the light of day. Up there with murder and rape, there should be no parole and no time for good behavior. These people are dangerous and ruin more than just the victims lives but that's a whole other thread.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    w/out even knowing him that well, if you ever saw him in person, you'd surmise right away that something was not quite "right" w/ the dude.

K S
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Keets said....

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I've heard/read various things regarding Breen and Bradley throughout the years, but never checked on any of it. This thread piqued my interest and I certainly found info more than I cared to. If any of you decide to search the internet for this, you may want to be cognizant of the type of material that may be found.

So, any ideas on why the other thread link that KlectorKid provides doesn't work? I read a thread about this awhile back and wanted to see if anything was added (assuming that this is the same thread). But now, it suddenly shows up with an error code and "not found" message. Anyone else have this problem?

Ken

my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The thread was there earlier, but it has since been deleted.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    If Breen was guilty of that which he plead guilty to, I hope his soul rots in Hell for all eternity. If any of you other guys have skeletons like this in your closet, I hope you join him as quickly as is possible.

As for his contributions to Numismatics, I use his work often and consider it valuable.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the linked thread was found by klectorkid in a search, the PCGS system doesn't seem to work in a manner that lets it be linked. i think if you do your own search on Breen you'll be able to find the same thing.

al h.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to focus on Breen's work (I have the Encyclopedia), and I try to forget about the other stuff.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>If Breen was guilty of that which he plead guilty to, I hope his soul rots in Hell for all eternity. If any of you other guys have skeletons like this in your closet, I hope you join him as quickly as is possible.. >>

Absolutely correct!
    Go well.
  • Options
    A "troubled" person. Someone who enjoys sex with children is "troubled"?????????
    I have another name for it. No matter what book he wrote or co-wrote doesn't excuse the fact that he has ruined the lives of all those children he abused.
    I truly hope he is paying for his sins now. To have his name wiped from our consciousness would be a good start.
    I cannot understand how anyone would still accept him because he was a great numismatist. Good riddance and may you burn in hell.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I cannot understand how anyone would still accept him because he was a great numismatist. Good riddance and may you burn in hell. >>

I don't accept him as a human being for what he did. But I don't believe it invalidates his numismatic research. Are people accepting *him*, or are they accepting that his work still has value?

It seems like any time Breen's name comes up, pretty much anywhere, it winds up being a battle between those who still respect his *work* and those who feel that his personal foul-ups are so horrid that all the work is tainted, too.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the ugliness of his criminal acts were truly known by any of you, in detail, the beauty of his numismatic wisdom would be burried in shame. No amount of numismatic good will ever overcome his social evil.

peacockcoins

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Walter Breen was clearly troubled as judged by society's standards. >>

<< <i>if the truth were known about most of us and the skeletons hanging in our closets, who would be left standing?? >>

Keets, Keets, Keets (whom I always and forever admire about most everything)!

Are you inferring that predatory, serial and rationalized sexual exploitation of children is somehow a PC quible, conjured up by today's silly and overly-sensitive "society?" Are you inferring that we all have "skeletons" of this sort hidden away, and that it was just poor Walter's bad luck to have been discovered? Are you inferring that there was ever a time or an enlightened "society," where adults sexually gratifying themselves with children had no destructive effect?

Yes, Breen was brilliant and productive in his professional life, and he provided landmark research. But the destructiveness he wrought in peoples' lives overshadows any such contributions IMO.

• Options
    Braddick is right on. I deal with these people for a living. The horror and harm they cause to their victims is beyond words. Remembering him as anything more than a monster is giving validity to his acts.
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    Damn, I've always thought most coin dealers come from the same gene pool as child molestors.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

<< <i>Damn, I've always thought most coin dealers come from the same gene pool as child molestors. >>

<DUCKING HEAD>
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I didn't know any of this. What a creepy guyimage
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I don't accept him as a human being for what he did. But I don't believe it invalidates his numismatic research. Are people accepting *him*, or are they accepting that his work still has value?

It seems like any time Breen's name comes up, pretty much anywhere, it winds up being a battle between those who still respect his *work* and those who feel that his personal foul-ups are so horrid that all the work is tainted, too. >>

Don't forget, it's been shown that a portion of Breen's numismatic "research" was made up by him. Take what you read with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget, it's been shown that a portion of Breen's numismatic "research" was made up by him. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

Yes, much of his "research" is without known attribution and has been over time sufficiently brought into dispute.

I have also heard that he sold his numismatic judgement on a coin. I.e., if a coin was far rarer in PF than MS, and the designation was in difficult, one could have paid him for a favorable judgement written on a scratch paper and signed with his typical florid signature.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    I remember seeing Walter at major coin shows (then "conventions") in the 50s and 60s. He always was nice to me as a kid. Then again, that's to be expected from a pedophile!

His research and books are still among the best, in my opinion.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I've always thought most coin dealers come from the same gene pool as child molestors.

What a P.O.S. thing to say. grrrr.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Research is tainted when it results in harm to people and should be destroyed or at
    the very least fully suppressed. This includes the nazi research in the concentration
    camps. There is no need for anyone to have information which requires the murder of
    the innocent to learn.

By the same token though saying that Breen's work is bad because of his destructive
    and criminal acts is comparable to saying the work Werner Von Braun in rocketry should
    be suppressed because it was used to bomb London. Taken to the extreme would re-
    quire the dismantlement of our space program since it was largely based on his work.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Research is tainted when it results in harm to people and should be destroyed or at
    the very least fully suppressed. This includes the nazi research in the concentration
    camps. There is no need for anyone to have information which requires the murder of
    the innocent to learn. >>

I agree, and I was going to post this point earlier and expand on it, but since you did post it, I'll just expand. image

I don't think there's any direct link between Breen's pedophilia and his research. Thus, I really don't find this a valid reason to dismiss Breen's work. If it's made up, fine. That's legit. If it's flat out wrong, fine. That's legit. But if there's no coupling between Breen's criminal behavior toward children and numismatic research, then it's hard for me to see how the research is fatally tainted *for that reason*. I just don't see how an unfortunate affinity for children, and a criminal inclination to act on it, has *anything* to do with his numismatic work.
  • Options
    I agree. What the guy did is almost unforgivable, but his contributions to the hobby is important and can't be ignored.

• Options
    I always remember him around the Long Beach show followed by a trail of dealers and collectors with coins for him to look at. He was always very gratious and helpful.

Although I could never condone his actions, I hope that none of us are judged only by our worst character defects.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭

<< <i>Damn, I've always thought most coin dealers come from the same gene pool as child molestors. >>

I try not to get involved in any banter that is not coin related around here, but your statement was totally uncalled for and vulgar.

Eric
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i><< Damn, I've always thought most coin dealers come from the same gene pool as child molestors. >> >>

Well although Breen worked for dealers I would not really consider him to have been a dealer but more a collector and researcher. So I guess you would have to change your comment coin collectors and researchers come from the same gene pool as child molestors. And I guess since you are most likely a coin collector that would include you too. I'm boh a collector AND a researcher, I must have a double dose. (Explains my preference for petite small busted women.)
  • Options
    i met Breen at long Beach around 89,was very helpful but did strike me as a little odd.
    i use the big book almost daily,but i cant excuse his actions !
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    You have to separate the man who molested children (for which, no punishment is too harsh!) from the genius numismatic researcher. As to the latter, his books are amazing and he was a wonderkind. As to the former, I put child abuse right up there with genocide as a crime too horrible to allow to exist on the same planet on which I live.

If you can't make the separation, then you will have trouble with a lot of famous people. Sheldon, of Penny Whimsey fame, for one, stole a lot of large cents from the ANA collection. The guy who wrote all of the Mater and Commander stories abandoned a sick wife and young children to run off with his mistress. Everybody has good and bad; some, a whole lot worse than others. Hitler was said to be kind to children; Aryan ones, one on one, anyway.

As for skeletons in closets, most people have done things, or thought things which would get them in serious trouble. As I said, I have zero tolerance for child molesters because they take advantage of the weak and helpless and ruin their lives -- hanging is too goo for them. But, if we are to judge a person's contribution to arts and sciences or literature or anything else, we should try to make the separation.
    DSW
  • Options
    I met and talked to him at some length in the early 90s at an EAC convention. His knowledge was phenomenal.

I had no idea (having been out of the hobby for the last 12 years) that he was a convicted pedophile. I am astonished and appalled. I pity the children he hurt. His contribution to numismatics is horribly tainted.

Dean
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A "troubled" person. Someone who enjoys sex with children is "troubled"?????????
    I have another name for it. No matter what book he wrote or co-wrote doesn't excuse the fact that he has ruined the lives of all those children he abused.
    I truly hope he is paying for his sins now. To have his name wiped from our consciousness would be a good start.
    I cannot understand how anyone would still accept him because he was a great numismatist. Good riddance and may you burn in hell.

If the ugliness of his criminal acts were truly known by any of you, in detail, the beauty of his numismatic wisdom would be burried in shame. No amount of numismatic good will ever overcome his social evil.

Yes, Breen was brilliant and productive in his professional life, and he provided landmark research. But the destructiveness he wrought in peoples' lives overshadows any such contributions IMO. >>

while i don't disagree w/ any of these sentiments, the fact is that as flawed humans, you must take the good w/ the bad. you take the good for what it is, & you do what you can to prevent the bad from happening in the future. you CAN'T fix what's already happened.

breen had some good points, he had some points. are YOU any different???

K S
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met Mr Breen in 1992, at the Seattle ANA convention. I had read about him for years, and was excited to meet him. He was everything I had ever heard of, and more. Long flowing white hair, raggedy shorts, colorful tie-dyed shirt...the total eccentric package. Several years later I was saddened to hear of his horrific, unforgivable acts against children. Luckily I have been able to separate this very sick man and his wonderful research.

For what's it worth, here's a quote on Walter Breen from the late David Feigenbaum (another guy who knew just a little about numismatics).

I don't know if Walter Breen was a genius, but he certainly was the closest thing the coin world had to a guru. Walter was a real oddball. When I knew him, he kept his hair long and wild, wore a Hawaiian shirt and always had a backpack full of books, notes and paper. He would stroll the aisles of a large show in an absentminded way, usually surrounded by dealers or collectors wanting his opinion about some piece or other.
    Walter wrote some great books and seemed to be an expert on not only all U.S. coinage, from colonial to proof gold, but also a student of coinage history. His masterwork was "The Encyclopedia of U.S. And Colonial Coinage." While far from perfect, it is by far the greatest single book on American coins. When I wrote my Barber books, the first thing I did was make a copy of the appropriate pages in his book and use them as a starting point.

Walter was acknowledged to be such an expert that his opinion carried a lot of weight. Especially if he put it in writing. If a dealer had a coin that might be a rare proof issue, he'd call it to Walter's attention and ask his opinion. The same for an obscure but scarce variety. Walter would examine it and, if he agreed, would pull out a piece of letterhead stationery from his backpack and, in a flourishing hand, write out his opinion. Usually with a few important sounding paragraphs to support his finding. He always wrote with a purple or pink magic marker and his letters were instantly recognizable.

The whole process rarely took more than 10 minutes. For writing the letter, Walter charged $100. Of course, if he didn't think it was the rarity the dealer thought it was, no letter would get written and there was no fee. The dealer would simply say "thank you." I have a feeling a letter was written most of the time.

I didn't know him well. Though I'm sure he recognized me, I doubt he remembered my name from show to show. We only asked him to render opinions a few times -- once for a group of 1893/2 dimes (he was the discoverer), and once for a 1906-D half "Presentation Piece" -- but I often watched him move around the bourse floor.

Walter got himself in trouble outside the coin industry, which landed him in prison (where he died) and ruined his reputation. Be that as it may, we coin collectors owe him our gratitude for his vast research contributions.

David Feigenbaum

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    A little over 15 years ago, Legacy magazine published an interview with Walter. As some of you may know, Legacy was published by Heritage in the late 1980s. They only published 11 issues - then the crash of 1990 dried up the money. Anyway, here's the link if any of you wish to read the article.

http://apps.heritagecoin.com/features/numisarticles.php?id=225

Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legacy was a great publication. Heritage would do well to revive it now that the coin industry is healthy again.
  • Options
    If I'm willing to lie to my wife and break an oath with her.....then if I have enough of the right motivation, I will lie and break my oath with you too.

If I am willing to molest children, then there is little else in the world that will prevent me from doing and saying as I please.

It's difficult to divorce the behavior of a person in different parts of their life as the conscience and ego cannot be physically split.
    Go well.
  • Options
    ttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file