Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the difference between "strong money" and "overpaying" to YOU?

Can you even qualify or quantify this? I am interested in what methods board members use to determine the difference. For me, I HAVE to know the coin well and I HAVE to have seen many in the same grade to know strong one versus an outrageously priced one. What about you all?

Wait! I've got it! When I buy it's strong money. When someone else buys it's overpaying!

haha!

Comments

• Options
    "You overpaid when you bought that coin....however, I'm offering you strong money today."
    Go well.
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    It all depends on my desire to own a particular specimen. Granted, there are some coins that people will pay moon money and not blink a eye. The "Difference between strong money and overpaying" is based on, IMO, the individual. I hope I'm reading your question correctly.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    You left out MOON MONEY!!!
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Shiba!image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Semantics
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Strong money to me would be winning an auction with heavy competition and participants. Overpaying is usually realized when you go to sell your favorite coin.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Overpaying is when I regret what I spent for that particular coin the moment I get home. Strong money is what I feel I paid when I can still enjoy the coin even if it was costly. So far it's about a 4:1 ratio for me. image
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Overpaying is when I regret what I spent for that particular coin the moment I get home. Strong money is what I feel I paid when I can still enjoy the coin even if it was costly. So far it's about a 4:1 ratio for me. image >>

That is an awesome way to put it! I think you nailed it!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Overpaying is when I regret what I spent for that particular coin the moment I get home. Strong money is what I feel I paid when I can still enjoy the coin even if it was costly. So far it's about a 4:1 ratio for me. image >>

Yep. This is pretty much what I was going to say, but you beat me to it. "Overpaying" is when I have buyer's remorse almost immediately after committing the money. When it's just "strong money," I may think about how much I paid but don't regret it at all.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    To me the difference is about knowledge of the coin that you are buying- you overpay when you haven't done your research, and you've misgauged the amount of competition from other collectors. Paying strong money happens when you understand the true level of rarity and desireability that a coin has.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strong money is making an offer between the minimum and maximum amount at which
    a specific sell is likely to accept. Over paying is offering more than this, especially if it's
    caused by ignorance or the desire to make a point.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Strong money is what it's called when a big named dealer buys a coin...when you buy it for the same money, it's known as overpaying. However if you take a loss and the dealer whom you've sold it to sells it to another nationally known dealer for a big profit, the dealer who bought it once again has paid "strong money". Get it now?
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Over paying is when you get home with the coin and have to check your body parts to see if you lost something in the hunt. Strong money is when you know what you are looking at and you know that it is gonna take "strong money" to get it home and you look at it a month later and you still go...YEAH!!!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have buyers remorse you overpaid. If there is no buyers remorse you paid stong money.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have buyers remorse you overpaid. If there is no buyers remorse you paid stong money. >>

Exactly Right!!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me thats an easy question:

Strong money to me is paying a substantially higher price than normal for a coin becuase of one or several factors including: the quality, the rarity, PQness, not readily availble on the market, etc. A buyer willing to pay the extra to obtain a coin that he/she would like to aquire.

Overpaying to me means that the price paid was too much realative to what any other typical buyer would have paid for the same coin. A price that is a good distance ahead or higher than what the coin is actually worth on the market.

jim
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    When you have a buyer at a higher price, then it is "strong money". If you are the end user, without a thought to the value added to your set, but a thought to the emotional value, then you may be "overpaying".
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, paying "Strong Money" means the piece cost me more than "sheet" or more than an "average" example of the coin would cost, but I feel confident that I could sell it for almost as much, if not more.

"Overpaying" to me means paying quite a bit more than I could get for the coin if trying to sell, either because I overbid in my zeal, or the coin was misrepresented (intentionally or unintentionally) by the seller.

edit: LoL! I responded to the initial post, without reading the replies; I see that I've basically echo'd the last 3 posters at least and maybe more image great minds think alike i guess.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Perception.
  • Options
    Strong money may be very shrewed; overpaying is just plain stupid!
  • Options
    This is beyond strong money IMHO
    1999 silver proof

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file