Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My damaged/rusty SLQ - what to do?

Here’s the story behind this coin. I got this about a year ago, just a common date, but it was cheap because it had a crappy picture and the seller described as VF. I think I paid $30 with shipping, which is about VF money, which I thought was cheap. I could tell from the picture that it had far better than VF detail because of the shield details, but couldn’t see much else. I wish I had kept the seller’s photo, but I didn’t.

Fast forward to arrival. I was pleased to see it really has AU detail, and a decent head for that matter, but unfortunately, someone cleaned this thing some time ago, stripping its patina, and then improperly or otherwise stored it so it has started picking up some corrosion. I didn’t care to try to return it since it was pretty cheap anyway. You can see some rust/corrosion in the area of 6 to 8 o’clock, and a little to the right of Liberty, and a bit on her leg and gown.

It’s certainly not worth some type of professional conservation, but what about do-it-yourself? Is there anything I can do to try to improve this abused beauty’s appearance? Or do I just leave it alone?

David

Comments

• Options
    Looks like toning instead of corrosion... Either send it to me (I'll take it free of charge) or send it to ANACS.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd leave it alone, it's an attractive coin with defects that are difficult to notice, looks like it is worth more than it is, which is nice. If you strip off that color, the damage will jump out at you, and you might be sorry.

the dark background really brings out the details, which are this coin's strong points, lets see the reverse!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Yeah, it's a nice lookin coin from the pics... leave it as is... like Baley said, it'll probally just look worse if you dip it...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    nice looking slq. good strike.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it alone...nice coin, nice detail.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    stop nitpicking all the details! i mean, c'mon, do you like the coin or don't you? why keep questioning what you like & why???

BE HONEST w/ yourself & trust your instincts, buy the coin if YOU like it for YOUR reasons, & stop worrying so much about what the rest of us think.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file