Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

greatest football cards of all-time

With the football season coming up i thought this would be a good topic, I see a lot of discussion about the greatest baseball of all-time but very rarely see anything like that for football or the other sports. i think price should be a consideration for this but not the sole determing factor. Here are some of mine in no particular order....................

1957 johnny unitas
1958 jim brown
1955 four horsemen
1965 joe namath
1952 bowman frank gifford
1952 bowman norm van brocklin
1972 topps namath in action
1976 walter payton
1952 bowman tom landry
1955 topps jim thorpeimage

Comments

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I'm no football guy by any stretch of the imagination, but if I could own any one football card it would be the 1935 National Chicle Knute Rockne.

And the 55 AA John Kimbrough - gotta love the Ags!
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    For the sheer price the nagurski would be a good one, But I have been collecting football cards for some time and have never seen one in person. I really have no desire to have one of except of course for the price.

• Options
    What about the 1894 Mayo Anonymous card?
    "I saw Jacques Cousteau at the grocery store in L.A. once & I watched to see what he would buy, but he only got corn chips & some shoelaces & I don't know what I expected, but I would've settled for a can of chunk light tuna even. "
    Brian Andreas
  • Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I think the 1957 Bart Starr rc has to be considered too. He was one of the great QBs of the time.
    I also think the 1976 Walter Payton should be in the mix too.

Josh

The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    1935 NC Nagurski

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I would sell any and all cards in my collection for a 1935 National Chicle Nagurski.
  • Options
    Some of my favorites in no order:

1933 Sport Kings Red Grange
    1933 Sport Kings Knute Rockne
    1950 Bowman Y. A. Tittle
    1965 Topps Joe Namath

Some of my favorite football sets:

1948 Bowman
    1951 Bowman
    1953 Bowman
    1954 Bowman
    1963 Topps
    1965 Topps
    1967 Topps

I like 'em all!image
    Paul.
    Check out my vintage football card web site: WWW.MONSTERSOFTHEGRIDIRON.COM
    STEELERS4LIFE
  • Options
    1935 NC
    1952 Bowman Large
    1955 TAA
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    My top 20:

1894 Mayo John Dunlap (anonymous)
    1933 Sport Kings Thorpe
    1933 Sport Kings Grange
    1935 National Chicle Rockne
    1935 National Chicle Nagurski
    1948 Leaf Baugh
    1950 Bowman Graham
    1952 Bowman Large Lansford
    1955 Topps Four Horsemen
    1957 Topps Unitas
    1957 Topps Starr
    1958 Topps Brown
    1962 Topps Ditka
    1965 Topps Namath
    1976 Topps Payton
    1981 Topps Montana
    1984 Topps Elway
    1984 Topps Marino
    1986 Topps Rice
    1989 Score Sanders

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    What about 99 Molten Metal Cade McNown? Or 00 Skybox Premium Ron Dayne...?

Only kidding of course!

Certainly the Score Supplemental Emmitt, Score Barry Sanders, Aikman, Deion cards are great.
    OJ Rookie, 54? Otto Graham... The Chicle Nagurski has to be among the top. I like the Unitas RC as well as Tarkenton & Namath as some of the all time greatest cards.

The 84 Elway and Marino RC's are great...so is 86T Rice...

I don't know a whole lot about real vintage FB other than the big names and their rc's. I am sure there are a lot of other good ones though.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    What's gotten into to you tonight Barry? You're a posting machine!
  • Options
    I like the 1955 Bowman George Blanda because the first card I ever had of Blanda was a 1976 and to see how he got older was amazing to me as a kid.
  • Options
    I think you've gotta stick the 1955 Topps AA Jim Thorpe card in there somewhere, along with the 55 Topps AA Rockne and Four Horseman cards....
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I agree with all the above. I personally would love a Sid Luckman high grade Leaf rookie.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why, but I've always thought that the '56 Topps Lenny Moore rookie was an awesome looking card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    BlackborderBlackborder Posts: 2,797
    1975 Merlin Olsen. His last, and best, card. 14 consecutive years in the Pro Bowl.