Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Viewing many coins

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I have been a collector for years, but I recently decided last year to start collecting US gold. The problem is that it is difficult for me to view a lot of coins in order to get a feel for the different grades. It is difficult to look at pictures on the internet (such as at Heritage's site) and get a good idea of how to grade. I had what I thought was a good idea-- I contacted a pretty well known nation-wide dealer in CT who specializes in gold (along with other coins). I offered to assist him in his business (free of charge on a weekend or two a month) in exchange for him showing me coins and providing me with grading knowledge, other thoughts on the market, etc. However, he was not interested at all. Does anyone have any advice on how I can increase my grading skills (mainly by viewing a lot of coins at once)?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Go on ebay and select the coin area you want and view the coins in the Graded Holder of PCGS, NCG, ANACS etc, to get a feel is my best advice. If you just want beautiful pictures of US coins , something like David Bowers United States Gold Coins An Illustrated History is great.image Welcome
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    I suggest you:
    1) Attend major auctions (ie Heritage, ANR, Bowers, Superior, Goldberg) and look at the auction inventory. If you are in Ct then the NY and Baltimore shows are the closest large shows. You can take as much time as you wish and see many coins.
    2) Attend the ANA Summer Grading Classes in Colorado Springs. They also have outstanding specialty classes on Gold coins and Counterfeit coins. I have
    3) Look for a dealer in your region that will work with you to hone your skills by looking at their inventory. This may be more difficult.

On reflection: I would do 2 and 1 first.
    Take your time; go slow; you need to be very knowledgable not to be hurt in this field.

If you want to collect immediately then find a dealer that is trustworthy; take coins on approval and decide if they fit your taste.

Oh, until you are confident of your grading skills, never buy a raw coin that is over a few hundred dollars (IMHO)
    Trime

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file