Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good Evening - Any thought or comments on this coin

My Ebay Link Just Click here
Actually learning a few things here. What a great site.

My Ebay Sales

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't look right.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

DMPL - 66

Niiiiicccceee
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Is it suppose to be proof?

Jerry
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The reverse pic isn't working.
  • Options
  • Options
    imageSorry, but I cant get either pic to open.

Louis
  • Options
    X
    X
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your server is up but they show this on there site.

"Ok, basic file uploading, and image functions seem to work, there are a few small issues. I will be testing galleries and the such over the next couple days. Please bare with me if there are issues."

Larry

• Options
    There we go, got them both up now. image

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Can't tell much from those pictures.
    I might bid $20 on it.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    The pics are hiding something. If the coin was truly good, the pictures would be much better. And the coin would probably be slabbed. It's been oversharpened from a blurry pic with contrast done on it.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics look a little blurry but if accurate its a great dmpl.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Sorry about the Blurry pictures. This is the way I bought this. You can be sure, when I go to sell it, The Photos will be Crystal Clear.
    Any Thoughts on the value?

My Ebay Link Just Click here

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it me or this site. Sorry for the double post

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    with pics like that could be a scammer moving polished coins to look more prooflike or maybe there is coin Santa Claus providing raw gems for the believers image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    those kind of `black and white` pics of coins look sorta cool but you can never tell what may be hideing
    in the fields.
    no way to accurately assess the true grade.
    appears to be a nice dimple morgan though.
    good luck if thats the only thing to go by for
    a representation of that coin.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a doctored photo... at the very least, the contrast has been very beefed up... look in front of the face--there's something that shouldn't look as it does.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Is it just me or does the mouth/chin area look funny ?

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's definitely some kinda schmutz in the fields, obv & rev -- wear or lotsa bag marks I don't know. I agree, it looks like the kind of bad picture they put on there when their trust in people's hope to get something for nothing is greater than their trust in the merits of the coin they're selling. In other words, people paying more than it is worth in hopes it's worth a lot more than they're paying. Good luck.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Good eye Louis. It does look unusual there. Maybe an attribute of the distorted pic itself?

also...My first Cam Slam 09/11/03

I hope everyone knows that i,m not the recipient of all these `Cam Slams`.....or am i......image
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    The frost looks more chrome-like than frosty...

I wouldn't even consider bidding on it

• Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    This is just my opinion, I fully accept I might possibly be wrong, but...
    If I saw that pic associated with a coin auction on Ebay, I would pass. The coin doesn't look "Right". I'm not sure I can fully express what I mean. It may be the image that is provided, or It could be the coin itself, I'm not sure. This is a common coin that has lots of nice looking examples generally available. I would definitly pass on it.

Just My opinion.
    J'har
  • Options
    This is said to be a 1879-S MS-63 Cleaned. Cost was $37.00

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    So do you think I got ripped off, or got a pretty good deal. image

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    So in the auction listing they admitted that it had been cleaned? Then I definately would have stayed away from it- but I hope you got $37 worth of morgan.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Not sure but I thought it was a nice looking coin. I'm amazed at the different opinions that come up on here. Everything from a possible fake to a DMPL MS66. image

Here's the Link

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>Everything from a possible fake to a DMPL MS66. >>

And how does that come as a surprise you?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I am surprised because I thought the coin experts here would pick things up much faster. I am certainly a rookie at this business, but do collect other items such as old Binoculars etc. I've been during that for along time. I can tell you in a heart beat what is fake and what is worth $1,000. Just by looking a few little markings or just in a few words of a description, tells me what an item is.
    But, here I see a lot of comments like. Well, it doesn't look right to me or something is just not right, or the picture is a little blurry. Rather then more specifics like, Hey the Eagle is holding a bunch of Sticks with no Arrow points and it looks more like a Park Pigeon than a Bald Eagle.
    It's just seems to be a little different analysis of the way people examine the items.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    even the best `experts` on these boards wouldnt be able to positively identifiy all that needs to be identiified
    with the horrible pics provided.

some see things that might or might not be there, but we,re trying to help, honest.

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    even the best `experts` on these boards wouldnt be able to positively identifiy all that needs to be identiifiedwith the horrible pics provided.

Exactly!!!!
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Well thank you Cam:
    I really am learning a lot here. I think I need to start another thread tomorrow night. Cause it's getting late. But, I am very interested in the Ebay factor. Do Coin Collectors approve and think Ebay has promoted and helped. Or, do most feel it has degrade or watered down the science of collecting?
    I do appreciate all the comments on here. Even if I do get Bashed now and then.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am surprised because I thought the coin experts here would pick things up much faster. >>

Like others have said, it's because of the photos.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    I purchased the same year and MM a long time ago for 28 or 30 dollars. It turned out it wasn't meeting the Morgan dollar weight and had what appeared to be peeling at the top on the reverse. PLs for this year are common, though beware, I've been told by my local coin shop proprietor that many of this year and MM were counterfieted.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the reason I never buy raw coins on EBay. At least the seller mentioned in the title that the coin was cleaned. The pictures are too fuzzy to give a definitive grade. The coin sure looked DMPL to me though.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file