Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Calling the slab experts, information wanted on this early ANACS double graded Washington. Washingt

BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
I just won this early ANACS double graded Washington graded in 1982. I've never seen one of these in person, but have seen them advertised from time to time. My question for the experts concerns PVC. Were these stored in PVC free flips? (Yea I know, why didn't I ask before I bought it!) The reverse looks great. A little hard to see the obverse. The fields look clean. The only thing that concerns me is the spot to the right of Georges eye.

32P
US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• Options
    Thats cool. i have not seen one in a while
    Michael
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Its without a doubt housed in a PVC flip. Its refered to as "split" grading obv/rev. When ANACS was purchased by Amos Press (Coin World ) in the early 90's, it went to standardized grading to conform with the changing grading standards of the industry. It is unlikely that your coin will grade the same today, since grading standards have changed dramatically, but without seeing it, I cannot tell. I thought I would give you some feedback on it. I hope it helps.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a morgan with one of those certs. I sent it to be slabbed a while back but I still have that original cert to go with it. Very cool.image

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Bet it is a nice MS 64!!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Hopefully there won't be any PVC damage.

I have a morgan with one of those certs. I sent it to be slabbed a while back but I still have that original cert to go with it. Very cool.

How did you do on the grade?

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got back a walker that I sent in to ANACS for a crossover to a hard slab instead of that old flip and the coin came back downgraded a point from their own service.imageimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    the coin is inside an inert flip that itself is inside a pvc outer sleeve.

K S
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its without a doubt housed in a PVC flip. Its refered to as "split" grading obv/rev. When ANACS was purchased by Amos Press (Coin World ) in the early 90's, it went to standardized grading to conform with the changing grading standards of the industry. It is unlikely that your coin will grade the same today, since grading standards have changed dramatically, but without seeing it, I cannot tell. I thought I would give you some feedback on it. I hope it helps. >>

Actually, ANACS dropped the dual grading when they started slabbing coins in about 1988. ANACS wasn't sold to Amos until mid-1990. The current ANACS won't honor the old dual graded coins. You will have to submit them for regrading.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I intend to post pics after I get it.

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    That is a fourth generation ANACS certificate. The coin is currently in a polyethylene sleeve inside a flip. Probably a PVC flip but I can't tell by looking at it. That is probably not the original flip that it came back from ANACS in. The original flip would have been a PVC flip and it had a sticker on it that bore the same serial number as appears on the certificate. This coin has been removed from the original flip, placed in a sleeve and the sleeve and a paper 2X2 envelope have been put into either the original flip or a different one. Then the flip and the cetificate have been placed into a currency holder.

<< <i>I just got back a walker that I sent in to ANACS for a crossover to a hard slab instead of that old flip and the coin came back downgraded a point from their own service >>

It's not really the same service. Different owner, different location, different grading standards.

<< <i>Actually, ANACS dropped the dual grading when they started slabbing coins in about 1988. ANACS wasn't sold to Amos until mid-1990. >>

Correct but ANACS didn't start slabbing until 1989. They planed on introducing their slabs in February of 1989 but some evidence point to them not actually using the slabs untill considerably later in the year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file