Home Sports Talk
Options

Off topic.....The ESPY's

I watched my first Espy's last night.

The show was funny, moving, uplifting, and
very entertaining.

For those of you who have watched it more than
once, was this the best ever ?....or have others been just as great ?

Comments

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I watched one once--I think. If I recall it was the one in which Jim Valvano gave that riveting speech. Was that the ESPY's, though? I don't remember. If not, then I've never seen one. How's that for an answer?
  • Options
    Jamie Foxx ruined the entire show. absolutely ran it into the ground. i guess he is a funny comedian, but this is a sports awards show. not Soultrain's Comedy Spectacular
  • Options
    Sports and Comedy don't mix well--that is unless George Carlin is the one mixing them. He's the only comedian that should be given the opportunity to host a sports award show. He'd point out the absurdities, take the arrogant athletes to task, yet still provide an unbiased commentary throughout the entire show!
  • Options
    i bet Dennis Miller and Jeff Foxworthy could host an awards show. maybe Rodney Dangerfield as well.

hell, why doesn't ESPN go all out- buy Bob Uecker a handle of Jack and give him the mic for a few hours?
  • Options
    I'm not sure about Dennis Miller. He seemed out of place on MNF. Regarding Jeff Foxworthy, while I'm sure he'd be funny, he'd be just as out of place as Jamie Foxx. You'd need somebody who has routinely used sports as part of their act, and Carlin is the most prominent one that comes to my mind at the moment.

Bob Uecker, though, while not a comedian, could do good. He's an ex-sportsman with a funny side to him--more funny than he was good at baseball, at least!
  • Options
    The first few ESPY's were more serious in tone, like an Emmy awards or something.

But now, every sporting event has to turn into a variety show or concert. It really made the awards more ho-hum IMHO.

I actually liked Jamie Foxx, but what was the purpose of the show? Maybe ESPN felt it was the only way to try to get more viewers.

Keith