Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson grading help

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just opened a bank roll of 80P Jeff's I have had for almost 25 years (holy cow) and the whole roll are all nice coins. They all show MD on the reverse with just about all showing nice full steps, This coin is about average for the roll I would appreciate some opinions on grading.
imageimage
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    I'm a far cry from an expert, so FWIW I'll take a stab...

I'd guess the Jeff pictured is MS64FS. The reverse is nice but I see some ticks/marks on the obverse. My opinion is based on recently looking through 2 $25 bags of 2004 nickels from the US Mint and having 2 dozen graded by PCGS.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Take one and dip in acetone. Many times it will remove some of the dirt that seems to get on the coins in rolls. The spot on the lapel of this coin is a killer and 64FS is probably what it would garber due to this. Like Lincolns, PCGS knocks Jeffs down when they are not "bright", at least in my experience.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Rocco

nice coin and a tougher date in FS. if this is average, i assume there are others that are better. with strong luster this coin should easily grade MS64FS with a shot at 65 depending on it;s appearance in hand. pictures have a way of magnifying the defects while strangling the luster, one of the strongest attributes. PCGS tends to focus very closely on the obverse fields which are very nice on this coin.

al h.image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys. Yes Al there are some really nice pieces in the roll as well as the usual great obverse with a tick on the steps and the great FS reverse with the hit in the obverse field. Overall though, a nice surprise to get so many FS Jeffs in a roll, put aside on a whim, many years ago.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file