Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A tough coin to take a picture of -- 1911 proof Barber Quarter

This still isn't as nice as I want it, but it'll do for now. This is one tough coin to photograph. The mirrors are watery and toned and the devices are cameo. Just really hard to try to capture that as well as the color.

Giving up for tonight, but I'll try again someday -- when I have 10-12 hrs to waste taking the same pic 40 times.

Michael

Comments

• Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    Very nice obverse. I guess reverse look as nice as obverse, but you got tired of capturing the color and gave up??
    I've had same kind of experience several times and I don't take pictures anymoreimage
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    ain't it funny how a nicer Barb looks so good and the more cirulated one are so ugly

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    I'd like to bid on this one.

Linky
  • Options
    Great coin Frattlaw!

That looks like the kind of coin (toned cameo proofs) I can only capture using indirect natural lighting. I need to wait until the sun is right then I turn off any lamps and try a dozen shots.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The mirrors are watery and toned and the devices are cameo. Just really hard to try to capture that as well as the color. >>

Mike, is it any consolation if I tell you that's not possible? Well, at least I've never found a good way to get both mirrors/lustre with color, except on a few morgan dollars whose color lies just so.

That said, here's my suggestion, and what I do--take a picture of just the color (that's one light angle). Take pictures of just the mirrors/frost (that'll be a different lighting angle). Then, be happy with two really nice pictures of a really nice coin image

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    the nut speaks the truth. you can't have it all on one pic for most coins.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file