Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about PCGS slabs...

Yesturday, while at a coin show, I was talking to a dealer, and he told me that the plastic that is used to hold a coin in a slab contains PVC. I found this very difficult to believe.

Is there any truth in this?
New alias since i'm locked out of my hookedoncoins accountimage

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there any truth in this? >>

No.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    We want the name of that dealer. The plastic that holds a coin in a slab does not contain PVC, it is an "inert plastic".
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I think some ancient Hallmark slabs may have had that problem.
  • Options
    Thats what I thought/hoped. But since the dealer I was talking to had been in coins for more than 30 years, I wanted to make sure.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its amazing how much misinformation is out there even from those who should know better.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What slabs was he selling?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Its amazing how much misinformation is out there even from those who should know better. >>

This type of stuff frequently comes from those with some sort of agenda. I had a dealer at a show once tell me the same thing about PCGS slabs, and that the only ones that were guaranteed to have no PVC were ACG. Guess what his case was full of?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>What slabs was he selling? >>

Every coin he was selling was raw. He seemed knowledgable about coins and was highly regarded by a number of other dealers I talked with, but he definitely didn't come off as a slab supporter.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What slabs was he selling? >>

Every coin he was selling was raw. He seemed knowledgable about coins and was highly regarded by a number of other dealers I talked with, but he definitely didn't come off as a slab supporter. >>

2x2 or PCGS holders????
  • Options

<< <i>Guess what his case was full of? >>

Chit!!! Jus like him!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>Yes. I think some ancient Hallmark slabs may have had that problem. >>

Not only the Hallmark slabs, but the early ten digit PCI holders as well. I have cracked them out and you can't miss the unmistakable smell of shower curtains. All coins cracked out of those slabs should be dipped in acetone to be safe.

As far as PCGS slabs containing PVC, that was propaganda put out by Accugrade.
  • Options

<< <i>As far as PCGS slabs containing PVC, that was propaganda put out by Accugrade. >>

Then they woulda bin called PVCS image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i doubt it's true of the actual holder, but can't speak for the rubbery ring inside. far as i understand, it's IMPOSSIBLE to manufacture completely inert plastic.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file