Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankee statues in the outfield

while watching 61*, i noticed that there were three Yankees statues in left field. i try to avoid the Yankees on tv, but i was wondering if they actually did this in the 60's? and more importantly, did some left fielder chasing after a pop fly ever accidentally run smack dab into one, knocking himself unconscious? i would probably pay twenty bucks to see that

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup...the monuments were in the field of play until I believe the 1973 stadium renovation.

Steve
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Those monuments were in left center - dubbed "Death Valley". They were in the field of play. I never recall seeing anyone knock themselves out running into them, but did see many a play where a center fielder had to fish a ball out that was rattling around between/behind them.

I believe Mantle would have hit at least 50 more home runs, maybe finished over 600, if the dimensions to his right handed power alley are what they are today versus what they were back then. I saw him hit many balls that one-hopped or outright hit one of those monuments on the fly.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw him hit many balls that one-hopped or outright hit one of those monuments on the fly. >>

Very true Harry
    I remember seeing someone get an in-the-park home run when a ball bounced around the monuments like a pin ball machine when I was a kid. Great memories of the 'House that Ruth Built'!
    thanx
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    In the first Yankee Stadium (pre-1976) there were actually three centerfield monuments in fair territory; Lou Gehrig on the left, Miller Huggins in the middle and Babe Ruth on the right. After the 1976 renovation the City of New York Yankees added Joe DiMaggioand Mickey Mantlestatues and plaques were put up beyond the newly constructed fence of Ed Barrow, Yogi Berra, Bill Dickey, Joe DiMaggio, Whitey Ford, Lefty Gomez, Elston Howard, Reggie Jackson, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Billy Martin, Don Mattingly, Joe McCarthy, Thurman Munson, Pope John Paul II, Pope Paul VI, Allie Reynolds, Phil Rizzuto, Jacob Ruppert and Casey Stengel.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After the 1976 renovation >>

MrRookie
    I was in school in NYC at the time. Korvette stores (kind of like a sears) was selling the seats for like 10 or 15$ - had no where to keep it. Guys who bought the NY figural seats were either really smart or lucky - either way - go try to buy these today!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    didnt ron guidry get his this year? (plaque)

and as for the monuments I was at a game when bobby murcer had to run between them to catch up to the ball....

and im not sure lefty gomez has one....
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Do I recall correctly that Jimmy Piersall actually caught a ball behind the monuments?
    Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options
    The story I remember is that Piersall was hiding behind the monuments one day. Kind of playing peek-a-boo with the team. I dont remember if this was pre or post breakdown.