Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Most Determined Seller I Have Ever Seen...

I regularly collect PSA 5 and 6 cards. So I am always on the look out for
these type of cards of my favorite players. One of them is Jeff Bagwell.
Invaribly, these cards are not worth too much, but I still like them. So in
searching for these cards, I came across a 1991 Bowman Jeff Bagwell
PSA 5.

On June 4, 2004, rturan03 listed an action for the aforementioned card with
a starting price of $2.99 and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on June 11,
2004 with no bids.

Auction # 1

On June 11, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $1.00
and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on June 18, 2004 with no bids.

Auction # 2

On June 21, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $0.99
and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on June 28, 2004 with no bids.

Auction # 3

On June 29, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $0.49
and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on July 6, 2004 with no bids.

Auction # 4

On July 8, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $0.10
and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on July 15, 2004 with no bids.

Auction # 5

Now, rturan03 has relisted the auction again, starting on July 17, 2004
with the same starting price of $0.10 and $4.00 for S/H. The auction is
set to end on July 24, 2004. I suspect there will be no bids again.

Auction # 6

By my account, he has spent at least $1.80 on listing fees plus all his time and
effort. Additionally, on the most recent auction, he didn't even bother to reduce
the starting price.

At first, I wanted the card. Now I am just curious to see if the card ever sells
and if so, for how much.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's going for the ebay record of "total listings of a single item without a bid."
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I think he might have better luck if he tried a min. bid of $4 with free shipping. That really sends people running, when a card that can be bought for $1 or less has $4 shipping. It's a psychological thing.
  • Options

<< <i>He's going for the ebay record of "total listings of a single item without a bid." >>

I've wondered what the record is myself. I think this is the record I've seen this card no less than 12-15 times on eBay. I wonder how much in fees this seller has paid through stubbornness - never once lowering the initial bid. To each his own, but if someone's that conscience of money, that's a lot wasted on listing fees.

Brian
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    I hate when I put counterfeit stuff up on ebay and it goes for one penny. However, the worst part is when the person pays with Paypal.

S.
  • Options
    i have an SP buyback auto of bagwell 3/173 the card has a hologram on it & theres another card thats a certificate of authenticity with the same serial number bae21011 on it the card is hand numbered email me for pics & info yankeefan741939@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had been counting how many times I have seen this auction on eBay. Always the same starting price, and always no bids. Talk about stubborn.

1964-65 Topps Hockey Cards Complete Set, $15K
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Since my original post back on August 17, 2004, rturan03 has
    attempted to sell the 1991 Bowman Jeff Bagwell PSA 5 four (4)
    more times.

On July 27, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $0.05
    and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on August 3, 2004 with no bids.

Auction # 7

On August 4, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $0.01
    and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on August 11, 2004 with no bids.

Auction # 8

On August 12, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $0.01
    and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on August 19, 2004 with no bids.

Auction # 9

On August 12, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $0.01
    and $4.00 for S/H. The auction ended on August 19, 2004 with no bids.

Auction # 10

On August 25, 2004, rturan03 relisted the auction with a starting price of $0.01
    and $4.00 for S/H. Again, I doubt the auction will garner any bids.

By my account, he has spent at least $3.00 on listing fees plus all his time and
    effort. Additionally, on the most recent auction, he didn't even bother to reduce
    the S/H price. This guy has to be the epitome of stubborness. Now, I am curious
    as to how far he will go to sell this card.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Am I missing something?

It's a frickin' modern card in PSA 5, i.e. it's frickin' worthless. It could have a 1-cent minimum bid and free shipping and it still wouldn't get any frickin' bids.

The seller's obviously a complete moron. He'd at least get some enjoyment out of that card if he applied some lighter fluid and an ignition source to it.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    That is pretty funny.
    He should just give it away as a freebie with another purchase
    to a repeat buyer or something. Then again, maybe all his cards
    are PSA 5s.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Why would anybody PAY to grade a modern card in that condition? Not to protect it from further damage, because it wouldn't matter now if a dog sh*t on it. Not to enhance its value, because it has none.

I suspect he bought it raw and submitted it without knowing it had a wrinkle or or tiny surface crease or some other inconspicuous defect that dropped the grade way down. The corners sure don't look bad enough for Ex. Dismayed that he was tricked by the first seller and then wasted $7 to $10 grading the thing, he now tries (over and over) to get some of his money back by charging $4 postage. Life is too short to obsess on getting $4, and spending $3 more in the process. Offer it free for SASE on a message board! If nobody still bites, toss it out and move on.

On the plus side, it's probably 1/1 in that grade. Maybe he'll try that angle next.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On the plus side, it's probably 1/1 in that grade. Maybe he'll try that angle next. >>

nope.. its a 1/24.. somebody else is holding an elusive PSA 4 1/1..

edit - pop report: #183 JEFF BAGWELL 1 24 159 31 673 23 1345 25 98 2379total image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    somebody else is holding an elusive PSA 4 1/1