Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever Hear of an AU-58 Morgan Dollar Crossing to Mint State at PCGS ??

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
With so many borderline AU-58's and some huge market price premiums for Mint State Coins (such as the 1886-O Morgan), I was wondering if anyone is aware of an example of either an NGC or ANACS AU-58 Morgan Dollar (or other denomination) ever successfully crossing to a PCGS Mint State coin. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's happened--since they're large coins and relatively easy to grade, it's probably much less frequent than other series, such as early (large) copper and gold, but I'm sure it's happened to someone...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Or...any stories of submissions of ms62 getting down graded to au when sent in for possible upgrade or cross.
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    I have personally not had this happen at PCGS.......I have had two
    Peace Dollars graded by PCGS as AU58's upgraded at NGC to MS62.

Edited to add.....both coins were cracked out and submitted raw.
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I had an 1852 Silver three cent piece in a PCGS holder go from AU-58 to MS-62. I also had an 1855 half dime go from AU-58 to MS-63, again in a PCGS holder.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure that when you have coins on the cusp like this that take BEEG price jumps from au58 to ms62/63 the graders look at them very very carefully. The 1897-O or 1884-s come to mind also. They don't want to shank the submitter, yet they don't want to screw themselves either. There is a big liability to them if they misgrade and have to make good on a guarantee. If there is any doubt whastsoever they err on the side of caution and give it the 58. Be advised tho that this is not true of all 58's. The 97-O in my registry set is the only one of the 7 in there that even comes close to challenging mint state. Its a very nice one with clean fields.
    The other 6 are no brainer not mint state coins.

This 97-O was purchased in a NGC holder at AU58.

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    My morgan 58s have crossed, but then again, they have the look of a 63/64. In the group was an `84-s and a `01. Both had been in ANACS holders. I think I've had NGC 58s cross as well.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Only a pcgs that was a ms62. I cracked it to try for higher came back 58. Sent it back again and it came back 62.
  • Options
    Well Placid looks like you got lucky and got your grade back if nothing else image
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    BAJ,

That's a sweet 97-o......the reverse looks MS while the obverse appears to have a hint of "rub" (and I use that term very carefully on this piece) on the point of the chin, tip of nose, bottom of neck, and the hair below the "L" in Liberty. Spectacular luster for a 58 and imo a true slider....a 59.8.......thanks for sharing it with us.
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    Steve
    Too bad PCGS didn't feel the same way. I'm sure they called it a 58 for the reasons I gave earlier.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm not extremely surprised, being that it was a green-slab PCI coin. Some of them are still pretty overgraded, but for a time they were pretty conservative at PCI during the green label days, so it really pays to know how to "buy the coin." You can get some great bargains on some green holdered coins; if you know how to buy the coin with a good picture, you can often get PCGS/NGC quality at a PCI price. But that only works if your "grading eye" is good enough to spot them on a fairly regular basis; otherwise this is a dangerous practice!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never herd of it (on a regrade) on a better date Morgan, but have seen some that would be better than average shot of doing so, but most were inexpensive dates.

I did here of an 1894 that went from PCGS-58 to Ms-63 on crackout? A local dealer in greensboro, purchased a raw 1894-p Morgan from an old time collection. I actually saw the coin raw, he believed it to be MS and I was thinking more of a highend Au-58. Well it came back Au-58. He broke out the coin and refuse to sell it as a 58. I even offered to purchase at Ms-60 ask, but he took it to the local show where one of the larger dealers from Charlotte purchased this coin for an amount I dont know?. About a month later, the dealer who bought the coin had a new 94-p in PCGS-63, when asked, he was told that it wasnt the same coin, but it definitely was the same! and with a 5k price tag.

jim
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Stuart,
    Wondering if this will cross? image
  • Options
    Even in 63 the 04 is not a high dollar coin so I would guess they probly got it right the first time BUT you never know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file