Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What makes a 1885 nickel AG3 , G4 and G6

im wondering cause i want to grade my 1885 which i posted here months ago when i bought it. ( who knows where the topic went to )
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think the rim is going to be the difference between an AG3 and a G4. If the rim melts into the field in places it's AG.

Then if you have one or two letters in LIBERTY showing, you are getting toward G6.

These are gross generalities, you must also determine if the rest of the coins detail goes with the particular grade.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    i thought of my 1885 as a G4 cause its much better than an AG its alot more than "identifyable" it has stuff too it to make it a g4 i think . im looking to see if i can find the pic
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Amount of wear...like the chief says, the more rim, the better!image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Amount of wear...like the chief says, the more rim, the better!image >>

Or, the less rim the better- depending on your collecting objectives!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Uggh, chief say big wumpum for P-01 1885 nickel
  • Options
    can someone guess the grade to this one

http://www.jjteaparty.com/APIC/55842.jpg

i dont agree with them on this
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>can someone guess the grade to this one

http://www.jjteaparty.com/APIC/55842.jpg >>

Tough call. By the letters in LIBERTY, I'd lean toward VG. But because of the weakness of the rims, and where it merges into the fields, it leans toward AG.

While both of those are guidelines and not absolute determiners of grade (3+ letters in LIBERTY is VG, rims merge into fields make it AG), you have to consider the entire coin. Sometimes that means weighing different components of the coin's wear and appearance and taking some kind of "grand average."

Considering the entire coin, I'd call it about G-6. The letters in LIBERTY would make it VGish, but the overall appearance and the weak rims and partial date would force it down somewhat, IMO. Certainly not worth full VG-8 money, IMO, though it does get bonus points for an original, problem-free appearance and you could make some case for grading it VG.
  • Options
    i was thinking G4 to G6 cause of the rim and Liberty. they have it at VG8 . but i think its not a vg8.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but i think its not a vg8. >>

It may very well be VG in terms of wear; perhaps it was just an uneven strike where a VG level of wear caused part of the coin to wear more rapidly than usual. Still, even if one can reasonably call this VG, I don't think it's worth full VG money because of the incomplete rims.
  • Options
    That's an odd one because of the wear on the rim is inconsistent. The letters in liberty indicate VG, the rim disagrees. I'd have to knock it down to g4 or g6 due to that rim wear.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought this one in ICG AG3. The obverse is much nicer than AG, but the reverse is weak. My dealer said PCGS would F2 it for the reverse, what do others think.

Appears to be a far cry from my other 1885.

imageimage
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382

<< <i>can someone guess the grade to this one http://www.jjteaparty.com/APIC/55842.jpg i dont agree with them on this >>

I don't agree with them on any of their grading...image
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    I think this one would go AG
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought this one in ICG AG3. The obverse is much nicer than AG, but the reverse is weak. My dealer said PCGS would F2 it for the reverse, what do others think. >>

i think they averaged a g-4 obv. w/ a fa-2.5 rev. for an overall grade of ag-3, so it looks to me like icg graded it propely.

the teaparty ag-3 is technically correct, but avoid the coin because the rims have eaten into the date. for me, i want a full date on such a key coin. after all, the DATE is the point of getting it!

vet's nickel is a beautiful ag-3.

K S
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    DD55.

AG3 all day. Nice obverse that more than makes up for the weak reverse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file