Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess The Grade! Proof Franklin Half! GRADE REVEALED IN BOTTOM POST

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got this PCGS beauty in today... guess the grade! I provided two reverse images to show the mirrors and frost--I rarely shoot CAM/DCAM proofs, and I'm not feeling great, so I wasn't about to play with lighting. Anyhoo, those aren't hairlines on the reverse--as Russ told me, it's mint frost image

Edit: OK- Not the best quality because I was really not setting up lighting (literally), but here are pictures that better show the frost... the fields are all black...what's hazy is light on the slab:

(original pictures below)

Let the guessing begin!

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    (oh, and no frost break on the cheek, either... that's from the lighting)
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Either PR68 or PR67CAM.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    PR68CAM ann Nice... for a white coin image

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    It looks like a PR67CAM. It's a lot more difficult to grade a proof from an image than it is a business strike coin. It's just too difficult to see the imperfections in a black field.

Nice coin and images, BTW!
  • Options
    PR-66 DCAM
  • Options
    New pictures added--I'll probably play around with pictures more tomorrow... I'm getting sick and can't stay up much longer image
  • Options
    68 DCAM
  • Options
    PCGS PR-67 DCAM.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    66CAM
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    hmmm..

i guess its a proof!!!

am i right?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with JR on this one, 67DCAM and I hope you feel betterimage------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Looks like a 68 cam if they were having a good day...... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    PR 67 Cam
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I'll go 66DCAM Jeremy.
  • Options
    Jeremy,

I will stand by my guess on the grade for this coin, but it is worth mentioning that without seeing the coin in person, it's pretty much impossible to make an informed decision on the grade. I'm not waffling in the least, but PCGS looks harder at the mirrors when grading these coins and NGC looks less hard at the mirrors and more to the devices and Cameo designations. At least, this has been my personal experience. Your mileage may (will) vary.

Jim
  • Options
    any more guesses?
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    67 DCAMimage
    Larry

• Options
    I'll say 68dcam

imageimage
  • Options
    The grade: PR65CAM... who was right? No one! image

The coin did, however, reside in a PR68DCAM holder until recently--It got downgraded I believe from two tiny spots on Franklins head--thing is, if I hadn't been told they were there, I would have never known--they are really as invisible as spots get. So a few people were, at one point, correct image

I still think the coin should DCAM, and I may send it to NGC...

Jeremy
  • Options

<< <i>It got downgraded I believe from two tiny spots on Franklins head >>

Two tiny spots will not drop the grade from 68DCAM to 65CAM. To grade only PR65, it has hairlines somewhere.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Two tiny spots will not drop the grade from 68DCAM to 65CAM. To grade only PR65, it has hairlines somewhere. >>

That's what I thought... I'm looking for the hairlines, but am not doing to well finding them... I've now found 4 short ones that I don't believe are reflections from scratches on the slab. I also still think it's a DCAM coin... unless that mint frost you were talking about is counted as hairlines... you can see it best in the 1st of the 2 old reverse pictures.

Jeremy
  • Options

<< <i>unless that mint frost you were talking about is counted as hairlines... >>

No, but with PCGS it will keep the coin from grading DCAM. They want smooth, glassy, uninterrupted mirrors.

Hairlines are sometimes very difficult to detect. When I first started, I wasted a lot of submission fees getting PR64 and PR65 coins back.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Remember, Russ--the coin was in a PCGS PR68DCAM holder originally--they only just took it down 3 points along with the designation...
  • Options

<< <i>Remember, Russ--the coin was in a PCGS PR68DCAM holder originally--they only just took it down 3 points along with the designation... >>

The fact that it used to be in a PCGS DCAM holder doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of PCGS graded DCAMs floating around out there that would not get the designation if submitted today.

Rus, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ--it was a 68, too... hairlines don't grow in slabs... unless they really, really, really missed the ball on that one.

On an aside, do you think NGC would DCAM it? I seem to recall you said the two companies look for different things in their DCAMs.

Jeremy
  • Options
    If the images are an accurate representation of the degree of contrast no, NGC would not give it the UCAM designation in the current grading environment. Right now they are damned near as tough as PCGS.

<< <i>unless they really, really, really missed the ball on that one. >>

It wouldn't be the first time. PCGS does screw up sometimes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hrpmh image

Hopefully a grader will be at the NGC table next weekend in NY and I can bug him image
  • Options
    The coin did, however, reside in a PR68DCAM holder until recently--

If it was in a 68DCAM holder, why was it ever taken out in the first place?? Regardless of its actual condition, its resale value just dropped about 5000%..... image
  • Options

<< <i>The coin did, however, reside in a PR68DCAM holder until recently--

If it was in a 68DCAM holder, why was it ever taken out in the first place?? Regardless of its actual condition, its resale value just dropped about 5000%..... image >>

It was a grade guarantee--I just bought the coin... the seller just got a check from PCGS...
  • Options
    So what kind of check does PCGS scratch for you when they downgrade a proof franklin 3 points, AND take away a dcam status? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file