Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Come on Heritage...problem free?!

Surely this is a screw up. Unless corrosion is not really a problem.1877 Indian

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine

Comments

• Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Uh-oh! Looks like it's image at image again!
  • Options
    LOL! I guess it's all a matter of perspective.....
    prices of toys
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    U-G-L-Y
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Thats about par for the course for Heritage - they tend not to say anything negative about any coin.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I personally find it irritating when a seller won't acknowledge characteristics of the coin that have lowered its grade- it makes me end up believing nothing that is stated in the description....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    It's all natural and original corrosion, so what's the problem? I bet it's low carb, too! And low fat.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's par for the course with the majority of auction houses, why single out Heritage? Every unc or pf coin in Teletrade's auctions have "fundamentally flawless" surfaces. Why of course. Everything is fundamentally flawless....except for the flaws they have....such as spots, stains, hairlines, cleanings, etc.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's par for the course with the majority of auction houses, why single out Heritage? Every unc or pf coin in Teletrade's auctions have "fundamentally flawless" surfaces. Why of course. Everything is fundamentally flawless....except for the flaws they have....such as spots, stains, hairlines, cleanings, etc.

roadrunner >>

True for the majority of auction houses, but not true for Stacks and ANR in my experience. Even Superior trashed a few of my consignments in a recent auction (not inappropriately, I might add) but the same coins appearing later at Heritage got the old 'problem free' treatment.

I definately take that into consideration when bidding at Heritage - in other words I don't put any faith in their descriptions. I do with Stack's and ANR. I have no experience with Teletrade and some of the others that don't deal in my specialty.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been bidding on auction lots in the various sales like Heritage for a couple of years now, and luckily with the exception of one coin on my past winnings, I have been satisified with the coin when it arrived. However, last year in Baltimore was the first time that I was able to sit down a view auction lots at a major sale/convention. I was amazed at so many junk or problem coins that dont get properly described or appear to be much nicer based on the catalog description. From that day foward, after seeing this, I will not bid on a higher dollar lot with out being able to see the coin in person, or have a very good contact that can view it for me. If not, I wont bid.

This past B and M sale I was very intrested in a lot, a coin that I have been dearly searching for. My normal friend/dealer was not available for this auction so I was going to go solo and take a chance. I had already placed a sizeable bid on the lot based on the photo and description. Fortunately before bidding much higher, a fellow board member offered to view the coin for me prior to bidding. Thank goodness, based on his asessment of the coin, I am glad I didnt go higher as it was an over dipped/lifeless coin. I ended up getting beat by one increment that was a blessing in disguise, which actually confirmed to me that the piece was no where near as nice as the catalog description and photo portrayed it to be.

jim
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While Stacks can be ok on their descriptions they are all over the place.....high or low. On one hand, they have consignments coming back to them from decades earlier. They cannot trash those coins even if they are trash. I've been smoked every time I bid blind on raw coins from Stacks such that I no longer do it...not even for generic coins like saints. Best rule of thumb is to bid as if it were junk and then hope you get it. It's really unwise to bid blind no matter how much faith you have in the auction company. Their job is to sell the coin, not make you a happy buyer. I've NEVER got a coin from an auction where it was better than described. That's the way it is.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file