Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My biggest dealer turn-off: the one-way market

2»

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure! instead of being buried in a coin, you can buried with it image

sure, if resale is not an issue, by all means, collect what you like.

but, look at the topic of this thread... isn't the subject of this thread about liquidity and resale?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>he could sell me plenty of coins that I would either die with in my possession for lack of buyers should I ever decide to sell or that I would have to sell at a serious loss to get them out of my sight.

and I think that's the complaint: that there a thin market, and big buy/sell spreads (if you can even find a buyer) for many, many coins, modern and classic alike. What they have in common, is that they're common. >>

Let's not forget that all moderns are not common and not all moderns have
    large buy/sell spreads. Most all moderns are a niche market so it is always
    necessary to find a niche dealer if you want to sell for full value.

Granted this is obviously more of a factor with "collectible" moderns than it
    is with "collectible" classics.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure! instead of being buried in a coin, you can buried with it

Tom
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    Lots of reallyt good points here..but from my collector only perspective..it really galls me when a dealer I have spent plenty with is not interested in what i am selling..especially when its very high grade and either bought from that dealer or is in the same arena as the stuff I have bought..I would really only be selling if I found that O so perfect upgrade to a set of coins...some dealers remember all those purchases and gladly help and others miss an oppty to make a long term customer..
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    I think we all got off track with the title of this thread here! If I were you I would start using EBAY to sell the coins that the dealers would not buy back. Then you dont have to go through the annoying problem of buying or selling with them. In fact you can buy and sell right there on EBAY. Wonderful! Wonderful! image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah! why try to sell your coins back to a dealer when, if they're nice coins, you can get just about retail for them on eBay? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>>Sure! instead of being buried in a coin, you can buried with it

LOL

>>>>sure, if resale is not an issue, by all means, collect what you like.

Why would it be an issue...it is a COLLECTION you are putting together, right? image

>>>but, look at the topic of this thread... isn't the subject of this thread about liquidity and resale?

You are right of course. I was just commenting in general about what I see within the coin market. I was not directed at you personally just "at" the thread and what I've seen over the years. Collectors seem to have this preoccupation with what others think about what they collect. Don't believe me? See "Registry" for an example. lol

jom
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah! why try to sell your coins back to a dealer when, if they're nice coins, you can get just about retail for them on eBay? >>

Exactly. Another reason that dealers are going to have to wake up or find themselve WITHOUT a business.

jom
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    only read your initial post, but i immediately thought of david -lawrence & steve estes. they're coins are always 4 or 5 stars, or 8-10 eye-appeal rating when they sell 'em, but in buying, your coins are always "average"

K S
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Here is one more thing I would like to add to this post. Unless you are just desperate to
    sell, and need money today, I don’t see any reason to sell to a dealer, period. With the Internet, and the online auction houses, every collector can be a dealer. Here is my case in point, in the last few months I decided I wanted to sell some of my coins, in particular some of my World coins, so I could concentrate on my U.S. extended type set.
    I live in a rural community 65 miles from the nearest coin dealer. As we all know smaller dealers won’t buy your stuff, and larger dealers won’t either, and I am sure they have good reasons. Selling at a show is no good since most dealers are there to sell their coins or buy at deep discounts from other dealers. Also most dealers at shows have no time to give you a few hours if you have lots of coins to sell.
    You may recall that I posted a thread a few weeks ago looking for a good dealer to sell stuff on a percentage. Several dealers including Carl Wohlforth, and Coinlieutenant, offered there services at what I thought were great rates. I picked Carl for no other reason than he contacted me first, and so far this has been a great relationship.
    If a collector has a little time to wait on their money it is much better to consign their coins than to get beat up because a dealer does not want any of his cash tied up. In addition you won’t get the run around about the grades. I am sure there are many dealers that would also take your coins to the shows they are attending. Perhaps going to a show and looking for a dealer who’s case in nearly empty?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file