Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade....1955 ddo one cent..Grade revealed

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
I finally bit the bullet and bought a 1955 DDO. Wheat ears are full and well struck on matter what the photo looks like.image
Guess the grade.image

Comments

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    AU50? Very nice coin.image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I'd have to agree with XF40.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    XF45
  • Options
    30 - 35

I do know if in a different holder it might be an AU58 - MS60
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It shoud be graded XF40.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    AU53
    Dan
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'd say XF-45, maybe AU-50.
  • Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    XF40. I've got to get one of those, they are very cool. image
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au-53
  • Options
    So far we have guesses from XF40 to AU53......Not even close. Anyone else want to step up.imageimage
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some a dumb question about this coin. Why is Lincoln's image not doubled? Was the lettering on the die added after the die image was made from the hub?

• Options
    Ms 61 bn is my guess.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Can you put up a better REV image?

Dan
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    AU 55/55 image

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    XF-45
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have some a dumb question about this coin. Why is Lincoln's image not doubled? Was the lettering on the die added after the die image was made from the hub? >>

Not a dumb question! I asked one of my teachers at the Summer Seminar this question...

Apparently, because Lincoln is so big on the coin, the relatively small shift simply doesn't show as much, as the impression is so deep--it shows on the letters/numbers because they are so small. I hope that made sense... sometimes the answer still confuses me image

Oh, XF-45
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    MS-63 BN?
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Am I supposed to guess the grade PCGS assigned the coin or just grade it?

From the photos the coin grades EF40. What PCGS gave it would be anyone's guess.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I supposed to guess the grade PCGS assigned the coin or just grade it?

From the photos the coin grades EF40. What PCGS gave it would be anyone's guess. >>

That's what I'm thinking. Perhaps this isn't a good picture and isn't representative of what PCGS saw.

I can see what looks like a little luster and even redness in protected areas, so I could believe as much as XF-45 to AU-50 (which is what I originally assigned it based on the picture), but there just looks like too much rub on Abe's cheek and jawbones to go above AU-50. Now if the angle of the picture just exaggerated the rub, perhaps it could go as high as AU-55, but it *really* looks like there's wear on the cheek and jaw.

When I looked at this picture, for some reason I thought the coin was probably better than the picture showed. I agree from the picture -- I would say XF-40. But I have a feeling the coin might be better than the picture.
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Solid AU50.
  • Options
    Gonna go with EF-45.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    First thought was AU50. Afterlooking again I say XF40.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    The pics make the details looked washed out.

AU58.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    going by what was said about the strike (better than it looks), i,ll say, 53 to 55.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    AU58, not much wear if any, could be 60-61 BN. From the scan.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    The grade is MS63 BN......HTubbs nailed the grade!
    I sorry about the crappy photos, I couldn't capture the underlying luster. The marks on the cheek are not wear, but slight discoloration. I consider it nice for the grade.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    63 BN.....huh.
    sure dont look it from the pic.
    just goes to show how off one can be grading coins from pictures.

nice cent
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have thought AU-50 to 53 myself. The reverse does look unworn but the color throws me off. The obverse discoloration does make me think it is luster breaks/wear.

Now onto the more important question:

<<<<<<< << I have some a dumb question about this coin. Why is Lincoln's image not doubled? Was the lettering on the die added after the die image was made from the hub? >>>>>>>

Well actually, part of Lincoln's image IS INDEED DOUBLED!!!! If you look at Lincoln's bowtie and his front lapel next to the open fields; he has an extra doubling of both. Why there? That is the most shallow area of Lincoln's portrait which was not hidden when the second impression of the die was created.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    AU-53? Looks really nice and the picture probably doesn't do the coin justice!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    MS 63...that's interesting, because of the rub over Lincoln's ear. The fields are mark free which had lead me to believe the coin was very close to mint state, but the rub...I would've guessed AU 58.

(The reverse pictures were a bit fuzzy, which may have lead to others calling it XF).

Regardless of who calls what which grade, its still a nice coin and one of the most interesting mint errors known.

Congratulations.image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Thats what I call a free gift from PCGS, I hold to AU50. , but as said previously, its a classic variety and a great coin to own.
  • Options
    I have to agree with PCGS gift.Even with a not to good pic,that was generous of them.IMHO.It goes to prove a point that has been made here many times.Rare coins are graded a little less stringently than common coins.
    Don
  • Options

<< <i>I have to agree with PCGS gift. >>

Happy birthday to me...Thanks PCGSimage

Seriously this is a nice MS63BN....don't let me crappy picture fool you.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fivecents: Don't let our razing et al get you. Those 1955 DDO cents always photograph poorly. Furhermore brown cents are hard to get it right in pics.

Secondly, if that coin was really overgraded that badly as we all seem to think, then PCGS would certainly give you ample compensation as they do give reasonable guarantees.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    As an old saying goes "I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers",regardless of the grade.I'd still add it to my collection anytime.image
    Don

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file