Home U.S. Coin Forum

1901-P Morgan help...

This coin resides in a PCGS MS62 holder. Marks are more consistent with a MS63, but between the fairly weak strike (consistent with the date) and market grading, it is in a 62 holder. The interesting thing about this coin is that I believe it is a VAM-5, the doubled ear is faint but the extra olive on the reverse is very profound. Any ideas as to current value and/or rarity of the Vam-5 in the grade?

Keith

imageimage
Keith

Comments

• I think all the Morgan experts must have been image last night.
    Keith
  • Looks like it is an R3, (hundreds of thousands)

Greg
  • VetVet Posts: 1,513
    Vam 5 1901 p doubled ear isn't listed in the top 100 vams. 1902p MS63 vam4 doubled ear $400. + com $43. This comes from my book on the top 100 vams Morgan varieties MICHAEL S FEY.
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • NGC calls it a Hot-50 Link But PCGS doesn't give variety designations. It's definitely not a Vam-3, what a dream come true!

Keith
    Keith
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    If that is an 1901 in ms62 slabbed by PCGS, don't worry about the vam, it has plenty of value already.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • morgans on the bay have been going for super cheap lately!
    item number 270345244769
    pcgs au55 for under 200? super deal !
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< This coin resides in a PCGS MS62 holder. Marks are more consistent with a MS63, but between the fairly weak strike (consistent with the date) and market grading, it is in a 62 holder. >>>

I'm not sure what you mean by the term market grading, but the majority of 1901-P Morgans in MS are generally average to weakly struck, have average to poor lustre (washed out and/or dark lifeless look), and many I've seen also have rather unattractive medium to dark toning which further decreases their overall eye appeal. IMO a mint state 01-P is one of the worst overall looking dates in the series along with the 96-O and a few others.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking the date on the OP, I doubt that flyingcougar13 is looking for an answer here anymore.
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree but the coin is now almost 5 years older!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Hey bigslur that coin looks like a POS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file