Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it possable..

To get a good deal on ebay. I've been thinking about this and the only low prices I see is either AT'ed, doctored, or from a bad seller. I know I've been poasting alot about ebay lately but I'm just wonderin. thanks!

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    I have made many good buys on eBay. You have to be careful and patient.

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I recently bought a 1861 Quarter Dollar, raw, on eBay for $2.51 in VG. It was original and looked cool. I think that I got a great deal and I'm happy.

Yes, there are good deals on eBay.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It's possible, BUT:

1. You have to be educated. Know your stuff. If you collect particular series, for example, it can work. I bought an 1892-O Morgan (the one I posted last week) in an old PCI slab at MS-63 with a *great* strike for an MS-61 price because people looked at a PCI slab and turned away. I saw the coin, saw the luster and the strike, and realized it's *at worst* a PQ MS-62 with PCGS or NGC. And yet I still got it for maybe 61 money. Why? Because I knew what I was doing, and I was confident to tread in PCI-Land where many were fearful. I bought the coin, not the holder, as they say.

2. Accept frequent defeat. If you're going for good deals, more often than not, if it's not junk and it's something that has a fairly decent market, usually someone will take out your bid, either with a higher snipe or by proxy. Or maybe the seller has a high (possibly too high) reserve set. Whatever. If you're winning more than 10-20% of the time, you're probably bidding too much.

3. Don't let emotion sway your strategy. Determine your best bid, make that bid and DO NOT get sucked into bidding wars in the "thrill of the hunt." Whether you use a proxy or a snipe, determine the most you'll pay and do not deviate from it.

I was really surprised at how little I paid for my new little avatar, for example. I paid $400 less for it than you can find it just about anywhere.
  • Options
    Are you kidding ? All you need to do is look around a little. How about a 1799/8 Bust Dollar XF for $1,200.
    Actually learning a few things here. What a great site.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I did good on this one auction.

I got 40 plus wheat pennies, a 1964 silver quarter, 2 mercury dimes, and a V nickel for twenty bucks. I didn't know what I was going to get. It was one of those auctions where the seller bought buckets of old coins and scooped 40 or so out. I did not know exactly what I was going to get.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think I did good on this one auction.

I got 40 plus wheat pennies, a 1964 silver quarter, 2 mercury dimes, and a V nickel for twenty bucks. I didn't know what I was going to get. It was one of those auctions where the seller bought buckets of old coins and scooped 40 or so out. I did not know exactly what I was going to get. >>

Unless you got scarce dates or better than "average circulated" condition, no, I think you got about $4-5 in value there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file