Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think about silver?

Silver has been on the rise the past week or two and continues to climb. Do you think silver will go above 10 dollars an ounce? Right now it is at 6.70

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

Comments

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do I think about silver? >>

I love it but my wife would rather have GOLD! image
    Ken
  • Options
    $10 an oucnce seems kinda optistimic. Maybe if your lucky $7.25 an ounce.

imageimage
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>Do you think silver will go above 10 dollars an ounce? >>

-Yes, but not anytime soon.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    we'll see if it crashes and burns around $8/ounce again.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someday silver will take off though we may all grow old waiting for it.

I think it is heading straight for $8.50 right now and will hit it before
    Christmas. After that it will be dependent on higher inflation numbers
    or a lower dollar to continue upward in the short term.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I believe silver is grossly undervalued and is a good buy at today's prices. It's difficult to store. and is a cumbersome investment IMO!
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    sounds goodimage. I don't think we will get that big silver jump they had back in 1980.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    One of the big problems with silver is allot of the industrial use has been replace due to technological advances. i.e. photography and electronics. I have something of interest for you PM

Jerry
  • Options
    Your better off Buyer Martha Stewart Stock.image
    Actually learning a few things here. What a great site.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    it was 8.63 2 months ago.
    buy HARLEY DAVIDSON stock !
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Silver is pretty too!! image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Guess you guys have missed the fact that silver has lost it's largest two markets, x-rays and photography.
    The only demand now is silverware and tea sets, it's a lousy investment.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someday silver will take off though we may all grow old waiting for it. >>

And I'll still be young and making a fortune! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Ive got 10 onces of it.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XRAYs and Photography? Silver contracts vs physical silver has a huge differential. The # of contracts is multiples of the physical silver. If all the contracts had to be filled it could not be done. Silver is becoming currency again. Call it speculation or what have you, but the xrays and photography is meaningless.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    roadrunner, are you saying that silver in it's physical form is becoming currency again or countries are making coins out of it for general circulation.

Jerry
  • Options
    I have about 12 pounds of it in medals like these:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    I like silver right now. I think it is undervalued, and that sometime in the near future, silver will pop. That being said, I recommend against silver for speculators. Like the stock market, if you are good (most likely lucky), you MIGHT be able to time the market, but I wouldn't bet the rent money on it.

I think precious metals have a place in each persons portfolio. I also think it would be huge mistake to bet the farm on the rising price of silver. Bottom line? Add some silver to your assets, but don't bet the farm on it. Long term, you will win. Short term roll of the dice? I dunno...
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    It goes up, it goes down ... I stopped thinking of it as a precious metal in the mid-80's. I sell it off almost immediately when it comes are part of a deal; althiough I do keep a few peices for collectable stock. If I am offered it alone, or can easily seprate it from a deal a show, I point the person the high buyer in the room for silver- it's just not my thing.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Techeff; I like those Franklin and Wright brothers ones, too.

Very nice!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uncle Wiggly,

Silver is currency to me means that there has been an increase in the number of people/businesses/countries flocking to silver (and gold). This is a natural progression with all the inflated currencies running around the world. Commodities have had a strong 12-18 months. Silver and gold are commodities too....and they tend to start acting like currency when paper fiat money is overprinted.
    The annualized printing rate of the US dollar is around 10%. One cannot expect silver and gold to sit still in an environment like that.
    Silver will have another day, and then days after that. The metal is not dead.

I doubt any country is making silver coins for circulation as the existing supply of older silver coins, bars, etc. seems to be satisfying demand for now. However the Asian gold Dinar is coming into the market soon as a medium of currency in the place of accepting dollars, rubles, etc. as payment of debts. This will make access to gold that much easier for Asians rather than just depending on currencies. Likewise a major "physical only" gold fund is being created that will make is far easier for the average American
    to own gold without the hassle of storing it, trading it, etc. While that will be a boost, I prefer holding it myself.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I try not to think about it.

Tomimage
  • Options
    I think silver is a commodity. So are pork bellies. However I can eat pork bellies image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file