Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please don't tell me this is a fake, I just bought it.

Any opinion on grade and worth.

My Ebay

Actually learning a few things here. What a great site.

My Ebay Sales

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    XF probably. Worth more than $51 if real. More like $300.
  • Options
    Looks suspicious to me. Maybe a cast ?

• Options
    not with my money
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

It's a fake!
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    VF-30 Looks original and worth about 70 bucks retail, maybe 50 or so wholesale. Oops, my bad, I thought it was a Half. Nevermind.....

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I have to agree. You said not to tell you it's fake, so I won't. I just think it may be "Authenticity Challenged".
  • Options
    Check the guys feedback. You will find your answer!

Matt
  • Options
    This is all very interesting. Does anyone see anything specific standing out as a fake. So far 3 votes for Real and 5 votes for Fake.
    This might just be worth sending to Anacs to see if it comes back in a body bag.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    There's not one thing in particular that stands out from my point of view, it just doesn't quite look right. I'm no expert, though, so I could be wrong. Sending it in might be a good idea.
  • Options
    Around the rim and on the obverse devices there seem to be some small voids where the metal didn't flow correctly when cast. Just an observation, I'm no expert.

Good luck.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Same seller,
    also an 1871 dollar, feedback for this item was negative because the buyer said it was a "cast fake." Also the "I know nothing about coins and all sales are final" are common terms scammers use.

There's also two other negatives this seller has which accuse him of selling fakes.

Between the multiple accusations of fakes and the "I know nothing and no returns" stuff, I'd run far, far away.
  • Options
    Hey, It looks like a couple of Swing votes here. The score is now 5 to 5 Ok lets regroup and take another look image

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The feather detail on the eagle looks a little strange to me; particularly the legs.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I am no xpert.
    it looks like a casting to me.

Proof
  • Options
    Do you have the votes being counted in Florida ? I only see one that appears to be of the opinion that it's real.

• Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Anyone who bids on something from ebay where the seller clearly states that all sales are final and no returns gets what they deserve...especially when the seller has recent negs for selling fake stuff. Caveat Emptor.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Here they are side by side. the top photo came from this site as a Master Photo

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    do you have it yet? is it medal flip or coin flip? (if you flip it end for end does the eagle end up standing on his head or his feet)

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would help if the image showed the .....SPRUE.

• Options
    Tom - I don't have it yet. So, the coin toss will have to wait a few days.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just by looking at the other copies sold by the seller you should know you got a copy.

I like the sellers defense "I know nothing about coins so all sales are final." The idiot's defense.

On a side note, during the past ANA Summer Seminar I was talking to my good friend J. P. Martin about recent travels. He was in China and was able to buy a nearly complete set of Seated Dollars for "3 for a buck". I think it was a complete date set, not a date/MM set, although I bet you could find some 1873-S ones if you looked.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Yes, this does go by Florida rules. All Hanging Chads go to the right. I need all the help I can get on this one.
    Now, Double check the tiny Wing feature on the Master copy. Just across from the U in United.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options

<< <i>Any opinion on grade and worth.

>>

In addition to the negatives saying he sent fakes, the seller's most recent postiive says "nice repro' as in reproduction on an auction that was not listed as such.

Also the seller is not a profesional dealer (or even a collector), offers no returns, and it was available for a steal of a price.

You can draw your own conclusions as to what happened to you.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From your pics, the coin doesn't appear to me to be sharp enough in details to be genuine.

I have a friend who bought a dozen what he thought to be real Bust dollars from an individual. They were all cast counterfeits.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file