Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1877-S Trade Dollar Scrub-a-dub-dub-dub

Yet another "estate" coin from this fine upstanding seller!

1877-S

Comments

• Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Eric;
    Think it's fake?
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I'm not sure, can't really tell from the image. One thing I am sure of, and that is the coin has been polished.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure, can't really tell from the image. One thing I am sure of, and that is the coin has been polished. >>

Are you sure, Eric? Maybe that guy really did have an Eliasberg-quality estate to be liquidated on eBay... image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    You can plainly tell the hairlines, too! Such a shame to kill good coins.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I would vote that this particular trade dollar is a fake- it looks even to "nice" to be a real polished example?? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fakarooooooooo.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Look at some of the Buffalo's he's auctioning. They all look polished.

Yet he has a pretty good feedback rating. Go figure.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I went back and looked at some of his previous auctions. In one of them, discussing the Morgans he offered, he wrote, " Included in these auctions, you will find the Ultra Rare 1892-S Morgan, the Key Dates 1883-S and 1884-S..."

Funny thing is, these are all fairly common dates in circulated condition (especially XF and below). And I'll bet these look really funky as polished XFs...
  • Options

<< <i>Look at some of the Buffalo's he's auctioning. They all look polished.

Yet he has a pretty good feedback rating. Go figure. >>

Some people just will not leave proper feedback. At the time I posted this thread, his last "positive" was one word - "received". If you look over a couple hundred comments, you will find that pattern. I wouldn't buy a dateless Buffalo from this guy.
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy: Feedback
    This is one of those people who I'd really like to tie to a stake and have all the people he's cheated take a good hard kick at him.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    a little pricey for a Doctored (polish) coin.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    who's gonna turn in this fake ?
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    I don't think that its a fake. It is a micro s variety which puts it accurately in the realm of a 77-S. That being said, this is one of the most highly polished trade dollars that I have ever seen. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It probably was a nice coin at one point....no longer that nice.

keoj
  • Options
    I agree keoj. I just don't see any of the usual signs of a bogus trade dollar. One thing I can clearly see is the polishing this coin has suffered.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy is a criminal! the coin is real enough, but he's ruining hundreds of coins. Look at his other sales! I find wizzing and polishing to be as bad as selling counterfeits. This guy needs to join Ol' Dale himself.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>This guy is a criminal! the coin is real enough, but he's ruining hundreds of coins. Look at his other sales! I find wizzing and polishing to be as bad as selling counterfeits. This guy needs to join Ol' Dale himself. >>

That's what I was thinking, too. Whether it's this guy or that so-called "estate" owner, it's a crying shame to see so many otherwise lovely, desirable coins being ruined.
  • Options
    It took a dip.

imageimage
  • Options
    I know there is a sucker born every day and there are plenty of coins out there that are raw and ready to be cleaned and sold to the next sucker, but this is why I don't even look at eBay auctions on coins unless they are PCGS certified.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's been doing this for a long while, hundreds of people are getting taken by this criminal!

Link to his past sales

I'm amazed by how many positives this guy has. Everyone who leaves a negative gets imtimidated by the seller. ("how can he complain - I started the sale at $1!")
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>He's been doing this for a long while, hundreds of people are getting taken by this criminal! >>

Hey, at least he couldn't polish the silver certificate.

But it is funny how he peddles his crap and in the main description of the item, he lists the highest value in the price guides. He'll throw up a polished AU and display an MS-67 price in the subject line.

Dale Earnhardt may be missed, but this kind of crap on eBay won't.'
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 negs in 12 month's,kinda speaks for itself

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file