Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Good sources of foreign coins?

Hi, All -

I've noticed that there are some good deals out there in the area of foreign coins. I'm thinking that I could acquire some fascinating pieces for a fraction of what comparable U.S. coins would cost.

Can any of you recommend some good dealers in foreign coins? Are there any good web sites out there?

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend NEN for certified foreign coins and HJB for raw coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    They have neat stuff! Thanks, Don!
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I agree with wybrit on teh above recomendation, here are a few more places to browse:

Jean Elsen has lots of nice stuff, but it is fully priced.

CNG does well for ancients and medieval.

Karl Stephens usually has something I like. He knows how to grade.

Munz shop, just had my first order from him, good stuff and accurately described.

Civitas is a board member, I pulled an inexpensive gem in from him.

Staplescoin on e-bay has some interesting offerings. He'll honor a return if you don't like it.

Spinks nice stuff, but they're not giving anything away.

Happy hunting, just be sure to stay away from those nasty thalers.image
    -JamminJ
  • Options
  • Options
    CoinAddictCoinAddict Posts: 5,571
    This is a great list. I would have never found about about them without this thread. Thanks.image
  • Options
    I always have my eyes open for any possible sources of a new country here or there. club meetings, articles in World coin news, etc.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome, Dan!! It's always nice to steal another good soul from the Liteside.image

Who to go to can depend a lot on what your specific collecting interests are. Remember, the "rest of the world" is much bigger than the US' total output. A very good idea is to acquire a copy of Krause's Standard Catalog of World Coins catalog. There's one for each century from 1901-to-date back to the 17th century. Start with the modern issues one if you have no idea where to start. Some folks like to begin with a "one-per-country" set. It's a great way to explore what's "out there" that might stimulate a collecting direction.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone buy from teletrade?
  • Options
    Hi, Askari - I certainly will pick up a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins!

Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Happy hunting, just be sure to stay away from those nasty thalers.image
    -JamminJ >>

imageimage
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone buy from teletrade?

I bought a couple of great Greek coins back in 2000. A 1833 20 drs gold NGC MS63, very rare in this condition, and an Ionian Islands 1849 30 lepta PCGS MS62 Pittman, key date of the series and the only unc that I know of. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3