Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

California Fractional Gold(post pics if you got em)

Is it expensive to own a few examples of these coins? Can someone post pics if you own any? Are they hard to find?
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    DO NOT,I repeat,DO NOT buy these raw !
    zillions of fakes out there.
    If i remember correctly,the one thing certain was,if it had a Bear on it.it was a fake

Proof
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Define expensive?

This one sold for $200. listed in the auction as a R5.

• Options
    Slabbed quarters and halves can be had in AU-MS63 for $200-$300. Dollars are more.
    Coins with minor problems such as cleaning can be had for half that, and ex jewelry pieces for a quarter of that or less.

A rare quarter:

One of my favorites which was multiple struck on the obverse including once at 180°:

Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

BG501 - PCGS 62 - microslug - eagle reverse - low rarity 5

BG230 - PCGS 64 - low rarity 4

other images available in the registry sets - private & territorial gold issues

myicon - BG435 Arms of California - low rarity 5
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can get them raw if you know what you are looking for. I found a period 2 round dollar on the Bay of E a few years ago and it became a BG1206 PCGS 55 - total pop 10

recommended reading and reference - California Pioneer Fractional Gold - walter Breen & Ronald Gillio - 2nd edition - readily available in paperback

good luck

it's a quest .....
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    I have 5 and I'm planning on selling them. I need to research prices. There are so many different types it is sometimes hard to find comparable sales. They list them by BG number. The following is a BG 799 J in MS 64. It is an octogan Indian quarter with the reverse rotated 90 degrees. I learned that a BG 799 X in MS 65 sold for $850 on TeleTrade, but am not sure how that relates to my coin.

• Options
    Bill Ferguson
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a $1/4 Octagonal BG-722 Washington Head. I bought it from Don Kagin.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a $1/2 Octagonal 1872 BG-913 Liberty Head. I bought this one from David Cloyed.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Thanks for the great pics. Im quite interesting in buying some of these in the far future.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file