Home Sports Talk

Dumbest Sports teams names ever!!!!

I just read the thread about AllenAllen's brother getting the call up from the AA team he works with in Montgomery Ala., to the MLB Expos (which is Very cool by the way) but it made me think about how DUMB it was for Montgomery to name their team The Biscuits

I mean.... what the heck is that?

So I figure there are a TON of stupid names out there....

what are some others?
imageimage

Comments

• SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    My alma mater's teams are called the Maroons.

Which is either a color, or a word referencing fugitive black slaves in the West Indies.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My alma mater's teams are called the Maroons.

Which is either a color, or a word referencing fugitive black slaves in the West Indies. >>

or gilligan & his isle mates.. they were all maroons..
    ·p_A·
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    The only thing funnier than their name is their logo image. I suspect the owners wanted to create some controversy before their first season (this is their first season) to get people in Montgomery talking about the team. Good business sense, probably. It's also probably the reason the logo for one of their other teams, the Lansing Lugnuts:
    is not a lugnut at all, but a bolt of some sort image

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about that high school basketball team that ESPN had in some commercials recently...The Nimrods. If I remember right, they're in either Wisconsin or Michigan, and Nimrods is their real nameimage

Steve
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Hands-down worst team name ever:

UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    that ESPN commercial had a real highschool called the Nimrods
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    HS Team Nickname in WI "The Old Abes"
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Biscuits are ubiquetous in Alabama. Folks consume biscuits around the clock and they are a matter of much culinary and cultural discussion. So, that may not be a bad name for a team.

Then again, bullets are ubiquetous in Washington, but they changed their name to the Wizards....knowing same.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • In Illinois HS, there are the Cobden Appleknockers, the Polo Marcos and, until just recently, the Pekin Chinks. Of course, this is coming from a person whose HS teams were called the Reapers.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CUBS! imageimage

Shane

• The Utah Jazz. They were originally in New Orleans? How about changing the Jazz part to Mormons?
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Utah Jazz. They were originally in New Orleans? How about changing the Jazz part to Mormons?

That's the same as the Lakers. The name comes from their beginning in Minnesota (the land of 10,000 lakes, or somethin like that). It has nothin to do with California.

Steve
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before the turn of the century and up to about 1907, the Braves were referred to as the Boston Beaneaters. Not very flattering. At that time, they had King Kelly on their team - I guess he was a genuine beaneater.

Stone
    edit: wrong number
    Mike
  • The University of Akron (Ohio) Zips (shortened from "Zippers" in 1950).