Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heritage's 1795 $1 struck over 1794

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
If someone's already discussed this Heritage lot here please link the post, I missed it. Fascinating one of a kind coin with a great write-up!

I know nothing about early dollars but still couldn't resist testing Breen's observations with some modern technology. First I compared the overstrike obverse with a 1794 reverse, then tried the same thing with a 1795 Two Leaves reverse. Of course, the 1794 fits like a glove and the 1795 doesn't come close. Besides the diagnostics Breen mentioned, the circular outline made by the eagle's neck, beak and left wing is shaped very differently on the 1795.

Comments

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it is definitely not a "1 of a kind" coin!

K S
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is definitely not a "1 of a kind" coin!

In fact, in several auction descriptions of 1794 dollars, Q. David Bowers has relayed the theory that 1794 dollars deemed unacceptable for circulation were held back for re-use as planchets, and has stated that "Supporting this theory is the existence of at least two 1795 silver dollars plainly overstruck on 1794 dollars."

Edited to add: BTW, I've already alerted Heritage to this.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Wow! I like it.

If you bought this coin you could honestly say you "also own a 1794 dollar".

Neat coin! Great overlays too!

Dan
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very cool! Nice work, Shylock!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Very nice Rare coin, but here is my question, is it plugged at the ear?

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice Rare coin, but here is my question, is it plugged at the ear? >>

Good question. The reverse also has a area on the eagle that is different in color and dosen't appear to be completely even with the surrounding surface.

Heritage,
    This is a lightly worn silver dollar, yet with pristine surfaces and attractive grayish-gold surfaces. Any weakness of detail is as much a result of difficulties in striking this specimen than of actual wear. In the past, this overstrike has been described as grading anywhere from XF40 to full Mint State.
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Is this coin for sale or is this just a research topic?

Placid,
    This is not a comment on the coin, even though you are right, there is no mention of it being plugged.
    The heart of my question goes to NGC for slabbing it. I had many problems with them this year trying to get some of my World pieces slabbed from the 1500 and 1600's. They bagged several large Talars with comments like, filled areas, reworked, etc. My opinion was that they had no understanding of how many of these Hammered coins were actually made.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this coin for sale or is this just a research topic? >>

It will be in the 2004 August Pittsburgh, PA Signature Sale,Aug 18, 2004 -
    Aug 21, 2004.

Bidding isn't open yet.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Very nice Rare coin, but here is my question, is it plugged at the ear? >>

From the photos I don't see any evidence of a plug. (At first glance the obverse looks like a plug at the ear but that is just aces of the understriking, the circular area between the eagles head and neack, and the left wing.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file