Home Sports Talk
Options

Randy Johnson - Nomar Garciaparra 3 Way Trade Rumor

I heard a rumor today that there is a 3 way trade brewing with the Choke Sox, Cubs, and Arizona and that Johnson would go to the Sox, Garciaparra to the Cubs and Arizona would get a boatload of minor league prospects

Comments

• Options
    If that's true, all three teams would benefit IMO.

Brian
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Johnson will end up in Anaheim. Nomahh will end up in Boston.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    There have been Nomar rumors for the past week in Chicago. But, usually, when they make it to the sports talk shows, then there is little chance of it actually happening.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Actually, that deal doesn't sound too bad. The Cubs have a BOATLOAD of prospects and a huge need at SS. Arizona needs prospects and to get rid of the Unit's salary. And Bosox want Unit but don't have any prospects. Also, Nomar will be signing with the Angels in the offseason anyways, so Boston has nothing to lose.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    If the Red Sox couldn't win it all with a playoff pitching rotation of Schilling, Johnson and Pedro then there really is a curse.
    Mike Miller
    Yankee Collector 1958-60
    Retired complete 1960 Topps set
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the Sox would push extra hard for Johnson simply to keep him out of pinstripes....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    yeah Marc, that sure worked with the ARod thing huh?

Seriously, neither the Red Sox or Yanks have enough young talent to get the Unit. The Cubs' farm system is by far the best equipped of the contenders to land the big guy. Atlanta might if they offered Marte and two or three young arms. Otherwise, a 3 way deal is necessary.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why the Cubs need to do a three way deal. Send Clements to Boston for Nomar. Send the prospects along with Patterson to Arizona for Johnson and their centerfielder.
  • Options
    The Cubs only need to do a 3-way deal if they want to keep Clements. But, if the Cubs are keen on winning at all costs, trading Patterson, prospects, and Clements for the Unit, Nomar and Finley would go a LONG way!

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    They've hinted that they won't resign Clements, expecting the guy they signed who has been on rehab all year to be a starter. (having a brain cramp here, can't think of his name). Anyway imagine Maddox, Woody, Prior, Zambrano and Johnson as your starters. Add Finley and Nomar to the line-up and it sounds like a contender to me. image

PS: I am a WhSox fan at heart. image
  • Options
    Agreed.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    The Chicago Tribune noted today that the Cubs part of the trade is highly unlikely. Maybe they have some inside scoop imageimage.

Clement seems to be mentioned frequently as the pitcher to trade, but hes carried more than his weight so far although he has a losing record.

Irish- The guy you were thinking of is Ryan Dempster who is expected to be available very soon. But there is no telling how he would fit into things.