Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone want to go noodling?

This is a great sport, I wish Upper Deck made sportscards for this sport. image

Lets go noodling!

Another one using his noodle.

Methods of noodling

Jery
Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Noodling sounds awesome
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Funny links! Looks like textbook natural selection to me. I'm cheering for the catfish. image

Brian

• Options
    I noodled once about three years ago at the Campbell Perculation Ponds just outside of San Jose. My buddies and I were fishing for trout and when walking around we saw the head/whiskers of a nice ten plus pound catfish poking out from under a cement crevice. We tried to get him to take bait, but after a few minutes I thought back to a fishing show that had a noodling special from a few years back. So with a few deep breathes and the same "am I really this stupid?" thoughts that the writer of the second link had, I stuck my arm in. I figured the best way was to just stick my thumb in there and lip it, so I did just that, making the thumbs up gesture and reaching in.

It didn't take long for it to latch on good, real good. I pulled it out and it was even bigger than we thought, probably a fifteen pound beast. I got it in my arms and pulled it up, but it started thrashing so violently that it shook my grip, fell back in the water, and much to mine and my friends shagrin, swam away. My thumb was covered in blood from it's gripping teeth that shredded it at the base. Wish I could've brought it up and taken a few pictures, but at least me and my friends have the story to tell of the one that got away, in a very unconventional way. Thanks for bringing back the memories, great post.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    Ok, i remembered your pic.. i had to go "fishing" in an old thread.. image hope ya dont mind
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    That's a bass from Lake Mead, he was much easier to catch. I'm going home to the Bay Area next week, can't wait to go catch some sting rays and Leopard Sharks at Coyote Point. If anybody else wants to meet up out there let me know, I'll probably be going on Friday the 23rd at night. I'll let ya know if we catch anything or get too drunk and fall on the rocks and hurt myself, Jason

• Options

<< <i>Ok, i remembered your pic.. i had to go "fishing" in an old thread.. image hope ya dont mind
    image >>

Nick Lachey!!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Actually, more like Trey Parker (one of the guys who invented South Park)...
  • Options

the guy from baseketball?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Yep. The similarity is amazing!
  • Options
    Nah, looks more like Corky, the retarded kid from Life Goes On. Ha-ha!

Oh wait, that's me. D'OH!

• Options
    a new DVD movie arrived in my mail today from Netflix..

"OKIE NOODLING"
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always rooted for the bulls....now I can root for the catfish too.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I saw that on some TLC or Discovery show once. That is way too brave. I scream like a little girl when I catch those things, I even cut my friggin' line. I hate catfish. Dogfish(eelpout) too. nasty little buggers. We have "bullheads" in Minnesota, dirty ba$tard$ have little spikes on their back that sting you, hurts too. Anyway, you're a crazy $umb1tch sticking your arm in his mouth! image

Now bass fishing! That's a good sport we can all enjoy! image
  • Options
    The youngest son of Abbott and Millie Hunter, Jim enjoyed playing baseball, hunting, and a form of fishing known as "noodling". In his senior year, Hunter was wounded in a noodling accident which led to the loss of one of his toes and the lodging of catfish teeth in his foot. The accident left Hunter somewhat hobbled and jeopardized his prospects in the eyes of many professional scouts, but the Kansas City Athletics had faith in the young pitcher and signed Hunter to a contract. Charles O. Finley, the Kansas City owner, gave Hunter the nickname "Catfish" because of his noodling prowess.

Hunter retired to familiar surroundings in Hertford, North Carolina, close to where he grew up and where he owned a modest farm. Hunter has returned to the noodling life he enjoyed as a boy. In his own words..."If I hadn't played baseball, I wanted to be a full time noodler or something. I want to be noodlin' and I think down here is the best outdoor living you can get, for noodling or hunting, or whatever you want."

Loosely based on a true story.. and loosely plagiarized from a story written prior to his death.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    As long as we're going this far OT, maybe someone can I identify a fish I saw this week. I take my dog walking in this park that's actually a small island in the lower Colorado River here in Austin (called Red Bud Isle, FYI). At the tip of the island there's a lot of gnarled tree roots and swimming among them was a big fish I never saw before. It was about a foot long (I think, even taking into account looking at it through the water) but fairly slim and narrow. It's coloring was greenish-brown with some black spotting kind of like a cheetah, with a paler yellowish underbelly. It had fins with black and yellow stripes. It had a narrow snout-like nose. It just swam casually around the island and back out into the river. Glad my dog didn't see it or he would've taken off after it. Can anyone name this fish? I've looked in books and on the web, but have yet to find an example.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    i saw this in the open forum, so i had to renew this thread..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    No fair, they used a hook! Criminy, what a monster.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options

<< <i>No fair, they used a hook! Criminy, what a monster. >>

i noticed that too.. heh.. a real man only needs their fingers and arm!
    ·p_A·