Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1975 Denver Mint Souvenir Set

OK... I'm at a loss, and am hoping someone can help!
I recently won subj mint set. It arrived today. Upon close examination, I find there are (3) 1975 coins, and (2) 1974 coins in this set.
I do not see any evidence of tampering with the mint cello. The
Lincoln, Jeff, and Roosie are 1975. The Washington and Kennedy, are 1974. Has anyone found a similar mint set?
Do I have something special, or did they just scrape the barrels to fill it out? They all have a Denver m/m.
The set is in a blue envelope, with "Denver Mint Souvenir Set" printed in the space, where we usually write an address, in some fancy type font, "Park Avenue" maybe? (I took print shop 100 years ago).
Ideas? Thanks... image

Comments

• Options
    melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    I have seen one with a nickel from the wrong year, forget the date, but it was from the 70's.

Keep it for an Conversation piece

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a wide array of packaging on the souvenir sets. These sets were made up as the
    souvenir shop at the end of the mint tour ran low on them. It looks like they were made up
    in batches of as few as several hundred and as many as five thousand. There will be variation
    within and between dates. Information and mintages on all of these is very sketchy at best.
    The '75 set was built in two batches at least and they are both very low mintage for the era.
    Your's was made early in the year before the bicentennial coins went into production. The mint
    stockpiled the bicentennial coins for some time before they were released to circulation. They
    continued to use the 1974 date through the middle of 1975 on the quarters, halfs and dollars.
    The sets assembled at this time were made of the current production which were the '74 issue
    coins. If the number of these I've seen are any indication the mintage is probably around 2,500
    or so. The half dollar in this set can be gem. Other coins tend to be the typical good quality seen
    in the souvenir sets.

Attrition on this set and all the mid-'70's dates is very high. Even today these can be found for as
    little as a couple dollars apiece, but obviously the problem is finding them.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file