Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Smithsonian Exhibit: Is it worth the visit?

09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
With the impending closing of the National Numismatic Collection, I was thinking about driving from the Boston area to see it. A couple of things: has anyone seen it lately? Would it bee worth the drive? What is the actual date of the closing?
Thanx

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's incredibly worth the visit. I've been there a dozen times and I'll also be there on the afternoon of August 1, the last day of the exhibit. I'd be glad to meet with anyone going down the same day. Maybe a party in honor of the exhibit is in order? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is well worth a visit. the display doesn't do the coins justice, but it is great so see some extreme rarities and nice coins. Lotsa proof gold!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    An incomparable display......
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Smithsonian Exhibit: Is it worth the visit? >>

Not in my opinion.

While the coins ranged from nothing special to a few spectacular pieces the presentation was just terrible. Dim lighting, only one side visible, rows and rows of semi visible stuff organized with no rhyme or reason really detracted from the experience. I tripped on the 1804 dollar display.

-JamminJ

• Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Worth a quick visit, but the rest of the Smithsonian is worth a few days to take it all in! All the major museums in this country are worth the price of admission. Next in line are the Field Museums of Natural History, especially the one in Chicago, then hit the Planeterium, and Aquarium!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    If seeing stuff like an 1804 dollar, an 1849 $20 and a 1933 $20 all in the same room excites you, then it's definitely worth the visit. How about a wall full of gold? I agree that the presentation is suboptimal, but if you've got the opportunity, definitely check it out before it closes forever. It is truly a sight.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tripped on the 1804 dollar display.

Were you drunk? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I tripped on the 1804 dollar display.

Were you drunk? image >>

Nope.

They were in a small hip high case around the side of a larger display case. Very easy to miss, or in my case to hit!image

-JamminJ

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    if you dont go then you have missed out on the coin legacy that time has left to us. the coins are superb in they are all there too...except maybe the gobrecht dollar with the starfield. They have some very rare coins in the presentation. The exhibit quality is less than the quality of the material being displayed but you won't forget the coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file