Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are the RD, RB, and BN designations for copper necessary (or even useful)?

Hi, Everybody -

From the coins I've seen, a "red" copper coin doesn't necessarily have better eye appeal than a "red brown" or a "brown" example.

Do you think that it would be better for the grading services to leave off the color designation, and just let the buyer decide how much the coin's eye appeal is worth?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necessary? No.

Useful? Sometimes.

<< <i>From the coins I've seen, a "red" copper coin doesn't necessarily have better eye appeal than a "red brown" or a "brown" example. >>

Most definitely correct.

<< <i>Do you think that it would be better for the grading services to leave off the color designation, and just let the buyer decide how much the coin's eye appeal is worth? >>

Nah- I say let the grading services put the designation on there if they want. Wise buyers will buy a coin on its own merits regardless of what the label says, anyway.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I have to agree with LM.The designations are necessary.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd keep the designations. That said, you still have to make your own decision. You can't rely on the holder.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They give a basic idea of what the coin's color is--the real problem is with toning. I've got some brown cents from the 1960s... but they're blue... and plenty of rainbow-colored RBs...

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, there's no turning back. The designations are here to stay.

Second, the history. When sight unseen trading was "invented", color designations were necessary.

Finally, the current reality. The only significant benefit of color designations is in ranking Registry Sets. Any baboon can tell you if a coin is red, brown, or somewhere in between.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I think they're more necessary for pricing than they are useful for determining eye appeal. The market value and of a full original red copper will (and should) always be more than its RB/BN counterpart, so they have to be certified as such to price them with some degree of accuracy. Especially for sight unseen and internet buyers. As inconsistent as these designations are, I'd still rather have PCGS or NGC determine a coin's price range than whoever is selling it. Then let the buyer decide the coin's value within that range.

I agree with you that many RB's and BN's are more desirable than their RD counterparts!
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the coins I've seen, a "red" copper coin doesn't necessarily have better eye appeal than a "red brown" or a "brown" example.

This is very true. I have two MS65 1931-S Lincolns, one is graded red the other is brown. While the color designation is correct the brown coin is far more lusterous with an electric blue color.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your going to pay the price for red copper, it's nice to know the color is guaranteed by PCGS. Other than that, like Andy said, any Baboon....imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's nice to know the color is guaranteed by PCGS.

Is it? (I really don't know.)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the RD, RB, and BN designations for copper necessary (or even useful)? >>

no

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file