Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the Pop 1 1960-D FS Jefferson worth?

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see Bowers is auctioning the Nevadaman collection of Jefferson Nickels, which includes the only PCGS FS 1960-D. It will be interesting to see what kind of attention this set brings as it appears the Jeff's are finally starting to get some attention.

Any guesses as to which set this coin ends up in?
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet the 60-D and 61-D go to the same person.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing around 15k. Then, within the next year a couple more get certified.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    "Then, within the next year a couple more get certified. "

Hmmm.. I don't know those are tough coins with any steps much less 5 full and the way PCGS is right now nothing seems to slip by. Many older "FS" coins are not "FS", close but not to todays standard. This is Leo's set.. is it not?

• Options
    I would guess that the 60D certified w/full steps will be the ONLY one ever certified when all is said and done. I haven't seen any other that's even close. $25-30K is my guess if there is more than one serious bidder.
  • Options
    I think the final price is going to be decided largely by the quality of the steps.

PCGS hasn't been as reliable on the steps as NGC or ANACS, and 5 steps from PCGS really has to be checked out. If the 5 steps are a REAL 5 steps, there will be spirited bidding on this indeed. But if the steps are illusory, and the FS rating a GFG (Gift from God), then I, for one, will be on the sidelines.

Enjoy,

Just Having Fun!

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    I am curious, using a good new die, about how many nickels can it strike before the steps aren't full anymore?

• Options
    Has anyone seen the coin in hand to tell us about the quality of the steps?
  • Options
    Since this is my coin, I'll tell you what I know: Both the 60-D and 61-D received a full step designation on the first try at BOTH ANACS and PCGS. ANACS graded the 60-D MS64 5 steps and the 61-D MS66 5 steps. The steps on the 61-D are so good it could pass for a 41-D!! The steps on the 60-D aren't as sharp - but they are there and not a gift from god by any means. This is the only 60-D I have ever seen or heard of that is not weak under the third pillar. This is the typical trouble spot for the rare dates and is not a problem on this coin. There are no big nicks through the steps either. The overall strike and eye appeal are good for the date. The only negative thing I can say about the steps on the 60-D is that when they first begin on the left side, the separation could be more distinct - but this didn't bother the graders at either service, so I hope it won't bother any potential bidders! The one thing I am sure of, is that no other 1960-D has steps as good as this one and no PCGS set can be complete without this coin!image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am curious, using a good new die, about how many nickels can it strike before the steps aren't full anymore? >>

I varies a lot by date, die pressure, alignment etc, but a good rule of thumb is that
    with copper nickel coins the first eight to ten strikes will be crisp and show no erosion
    of even the finest detail. The next 100 to 500 strikes will have all the design elements
    still intact. After this will be the first signs of wear in the most susceptible areas. Usu-
    ally this wear will show up on low details near the edge and expand inward more rapidly
    than outward. Steps on a Jefferson die could be affected as early as about the 100th
    strike or as late as the 50,000th depending on date etc.

Generally with Jeffersons, especially of that era, the problem was not with the die being
    worn so much as the die never having recieved the detail in the first place because of
    bad hubs or poor hubbing. Even perfect dies might be set in the press obliquely to the
    reverse die or too far away from it so that finer detail was lost.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The answer to this topic can now be given. The 1960D PCGS 64FS has set (to the best of my knowledge) a record price for a Jefferson nickel: $32,200 (including buyer's fee). Congrats to the new owner!
  • Options
    Congrats to the new owner. Wonder if this will affect the prices of 1960-D rolls?

Be interesting to see what this does for the Jefferson Market as a whole.
  • Options
    Anyone know who won this coin? It is still not registered in any set.
  • Options
    Brian,

It is in the set "SAJ Jeffersons" and has been since the sale. Easy to find as it is the other 100% complete FS set.
  • Options

<< <i>Brian,

It is in the set "SAJ Jeffersons" and has been since the sale. Easy to find as it is the other 100% complete FS set. >>

Doh!
  • Options
    NICE
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Brian,

It is in the set "SAJ Jeffersons" and has been since the sale. Easy to find as it is the other 100% complete FS set. >>

Doh! >>

Hi Brian
    Amazingly, someone just posted a 60-D over yonder! image IMHO, it's perhaps the finest coin of that date to own!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Brian,

Doh! >>

Hi Brian
    Amazingly, someone just posted a 60-D over yonder! image IMHO, it's perhaps the finest coin of that date to own!

Leo >>

So you're saying you submitted yours and it went FS also? If so, congratulations!

You wouldn't happen to know who made the 1953-S in 65FS a couple of weeks ago, would you Leo?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor