Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$25 penny box today ...

what will it hold for me . . . lets find out
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Done yet?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe it will have wheat pennies or steel cents.image

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    2500 cents.

• Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    just started. but what finds you think i will get. any one want to wager. i hope to get some wheats.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    If you real lucky, maybe a 1955 double die.image

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what will it hold for me . . . lets find out >>

Hopefully you'll be as happy as I've been -- so far -- with two lots of cents I just bought.

I picked up a lot of 260 Indian cents for about $210 (including shipping). So far, having randomly searched through about 50 of them, I've noted very few with significant problems, just about all are full G or better and there are a surprising number of VFs and XFs.

I bought a lot of 120 Indians last week, too -- I paid about $280 for these, but I knew they had a fair number of better dates -- about 10 copper-nickels (including three one-year-type 1859s), 8 coins dated between 1866 and 1878 (including an 1870), and again, quite a few VFs and XFs (I wasn't expecting much of anything above Fine based on the description of the lot).

By the time all is said and done, I'll probably make at least a few bucks reselling all this stuff, even though I know there's no way I'll get even remotely close to full Trends value which is probably at least $1,200 for all 380 coins (for which I paid nearly $500 in total). But mostly, I'm just doing it for the fun of going through them, looking for varieties, grading them and seeing what I have -- and determining how best to sell them back. I'm sure I'll at least break even, which is fine by me. Any time I can bring more coins into my life, enjoy them for a while and not lose money, it's a good thing. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file