Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's another mis-attributed 1866-S dime (ANACS this time)

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
Like the one I posted last week mis-attributed by NGC, the date slopes down to the right, which is only found on the 1866-S, a fairly common date. The 1866-P is a semi-key. I don't see any hint of a MM on this one. Link

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I remember that post.

Smaething applies, only two dies used on the 1866p, and one was a PROOF only die, so if it slants, it was not

made in Philly, odd that there is no sign of a MM, suppose some doctors were taking advantage of people a long

time ago?
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Email Heritage. They'll double check the coin, and probably pull it from the auction.

Another nice catch. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Just think how many experienced numismatists have looked at that coin and missed it...including a very experienced collector with some super rare coins up for auction over the next month or so. And yes, on some of those weak S coins you cannot see a mint mark even with a loupe.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options

<< <i>Email Heritage. >>

Already did.
  • Options
    Got the following from Heritage today:

You are correct, the coin is an 1866-S and not an 1866.
    The coin will be removed from the sale.
    Thank you for informing us of this cataloging error.

Brian Koller
    Heritage Cataloger
  • Options
    Nice catch. While I see these all the time, this is the first one for me that was encapsulated by a 3rd-party grader.
  • Options
    Geb,
    This is the second slabbed one in a few weeks. The other was NGC. It was discussed here. If I recall correctly, the tally of mis-attributed 1866 dimes I've seen in slabs (not counting the third-tier slabbers) is 2 ANACS, 2 NGC and 1 PCGS.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    good catch(es). for newbies, buy the greer book if your gonna pursue these late-1860's philly dates, & don't put blind faith in the plastic.

btw, i have yet to see a segs slab misattribute these coins.

K S
  • Options
    seated coins are not likely to be mis-attributed by segs, but then again, i have an 1838 small stars dime that says large stars on the segs slab. interestingly, they did note the double die reverse, which is usually found on the small stars
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just think how many experienced numismatists have looked at that coin and missed it...including a very experienced collector with some super rare coins up for auction over the next month or so. And yes, on some of those weak S coins you cannot see a mint mark even with a loupe. >>

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file