Home Sports Talk
Options

Roberto Clemente

I just happened to be looking at my 1970 Topps PSA 6 graded card. I remember Roberto as a great HOF player and hearing of his death at the way too young age of 38. I went to Baseball-Reference.com to look up his lifetime statisitics to see if he was a member of the 3,000 hit club. What was VERY eery to me is that he had EXACTLY 3,000 hits.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>What was VERY eery to me is that he had EXACTLY 3,000 hits. >>

I got goosebumps the first time I read that a few years ago. Here are some of his quotes Link One of my favorite pieces I own is an original wire photo taken of him getting hit 3000.

Brian
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    One of the great players and great people of all time.. One of my favorite cards I own is a 1972 "Daily Juice" Clemente Fan Club card.. its not worth much, but i like it..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    A couple of years ago I picked up a Jon Matlack (the pitcher that gave up Clemente's 3000th hit) autographed ball with the 3000th hit notation. Interesting but not very valuable. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    A couple of years ago I picked up a Jon Matlack (the pitcher that gave up Clemente's 3000th hit) autographed ball with the 3000th hit notation. Interesting but not very valuable

That would be cool - something that a true baseball fan would enjoy and appreciate!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Roberto!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are certain players that are just amazing to watch and he is one of them.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hard to believe that he has been gone from us (almost 41 years) longer than he was here with us (38 years).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Happy 41st anniversary of your 3,000th hit, Roberto!
  • Options
    Happy 80th birthday Roberto!