Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WV Shoebox's new catalog (where's the PSA?)

I just received Wayne Varner's new catalog, the "National Convention Issue," and was immediately struck by the overwhelming presence of GAI cards. There's only a sprinkling of PSA through the catalog. Some pages are nothing but GAI. Is Shoebox phasing out PSA inventory altogether?

I was also struck by the very large price jumps for GAI's half-point increments above PSA. Examples:

1956 Clemente PSA 8 - $875; GAI 8.5 - $1,800
1956 Mantle PSA 8 - $2,500; GAI 8.5 - $4,000
1958 Mantle/Aaron PSA 8 - $1,500; GAI 8.5 - $3,000

This is striking to me because the extra half-point has meant only a small increase, perhaps 20% at best, over the grade below in my auctions of GAI cards. Sometimes a GAI 7.5, for example, would even sell for a PSA 7 price or less. I guess I should have been selling my GAI's to Wayne!

Anyway, I have been reading about certain large dealers recently placing huge submissions with GAI, and buying up GAI cards, and I guess this is proof of that.

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Same dealers trading GAI cards back and forth. How many actually go to collectors/ end users?
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    question is are they getting YOUR GRADE or no charge deals under the table...only reason I see they would drop PSA is for better DEAL

loth
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    The other thing here too, is that if they get enough GAI cards graded to draw attention and they sell those cards, then those prices are "realized" and the value of all GAI cards should help to reflect those increases. If it is the same dealers it's brilliant. Just keep selling the same/similar cards back and forth to each other for gradually increasing prices and eventually the market will take notice. "Gee, those GAI cards in half-grades are really commanding some hefty premiums" It's basically a more sophisticated Shill-game if that's the case. It's just atrificially increasing the value of cards so these people can make $$$. Makes sense. Dunno if it's true or not. Once somebody buys that 56 Clemente for $1000 over PSA 8 because it's a half-grade higher then the bar has been set and GAI, Ebay and everyone else will start to take notice of that.

JUST MY .02
  • Options
    rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    1/2 pts. mean nothing to me. 95% don't cross to the full higher grade in PSA so an 8.5 is still only worth an 8 to me. NO premium.
    I can put any price I want on my cards. But what they sell for, if they sell, is whats matters.
    Check out all the BIN's listed yesterday. How many will sell??????????????????????
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree with that. I have crossed a few half graded cards to PSA (cracked out). A few have crossed to the higher grade, and a few to the lower grade. Therefore, the .5 really doesn't add a premium to me, either...especially there being a chance that the card isn't anything more than the straight number.
  • Options
    1956 Clemente PSA 8 - $875; GAI 8.5 - $1,800
    1956 Mantle PSA 8 - $2,500; GAI 8.5 - $4,000
    1958 Mantle/Aaron PSA 8 - $1,500; GAI 8.5 - $3,000

They can put these crazy prices on cards but who will buy them? $1,500 price differences between an 8 and an 8.5, IMO this is crazy but to each his own.
    Check out my vintage football card web site: WWW.MONSTERSOFTHEGRIDIRON.COM
    STEELERS4LIFE
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I got that catalogue yesterday and noticed the same thing. Mine is currently on its way to the dump.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I got that catalogue yesterday and noticed the same thing.
    Perused it in the "reading room". Mine is currently on its way to the ocean.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Mine was going to my woodburning stove
    until I realized it's almost 90 degrees outside.

GAI will never take off with graded cards.
    The leaders are trying their best to get things going,
    but look on ebay for SGC cards. They will be one and the same one day.

I remember speaking to a very well known dealer
    at Fort Washington. His main gripe with PSA was that
    they would give you no beforehand idea of what a card
    would grade. In this dealers opinion, that was too risky
    for him to submit to PSA. This dealer now has a lot
    of GAI cards. image

• Options

<< <i>The other thing here too, is that if they get enough GAI cards graded to draw attention and they sell those cards, then those prices are "realized" and the value of all GAI cards should help to reflect those increases. If it is the same dealers it's brilliant. Just keep selling the same/similar cards back and forth to each other for gradually increasing prices and eventually the market will take notice. "Gee, those GAI cards in half-grades are really commanding some hefty premiums" It's basically a more sophisticated Shill-game if that's the case. It's just atrificially increasing the value of cards so these people can make $$$. Makes sense. Dunno if it's true or not. Once somebody buys that 56 Clemente for $1000 over PSA 8 because it's a half-grade higher then the bar has been set and GAI, Ebay and everyone else will start to take notice of that

JUST MY .02 >>

Just wanted you to know I’m not a dealer. I purchased 3 graded cards from Shoebox cards last week. They sent me 4 cards total. I purchased 1 PSA graded card and two GAI graded cards. The PSA was a 8. The GAI cards were an 8 and 8.5. The 4th card that I returned was a PSA 8 it was the same card as the GAI 8.5. I paid $525 more for the GAI 8.5.
    I am a collector that buys the card and not the grade as long as I can afford it. The 8.5 was bettered centered and had 4 sharper corners. To me the card was worth more than the difference of $525. I sent Shoebox a PSA 8 card I had for sale ( I had just upgraded the card to a PSA 9) They purchased the card for 88% of SMR.

I was told by two dealers at the Chicago show that dealers were going around and buying high end PSA 7's and 8's, cracking them out and submitting them to GAI hoping to get a half graded bump. I have a feeling the card I sold to Shoebox is on it's way to GAI ( Good luck Shoebox ).

Just for the record I own some nice SGC graded cards also.

I noticed that most of the PSA authorized dealers at the show that sold vintage cards ( I don't look at new card dealers tables ) were selling PSA and GAI cards. Some also offered SGC as well.

If the card is nice enough I don't care if PSA, GAI or SGC graded the card, if I can afford it I will buy any of the three.

Thanks H. Walker

• Options
    Well I guess I'm in the minority but I like the 1/2 grades. Judging the grade of a card is not discrete but fairly continuous. Obviously one has to draw the line somewhere as there can't be 8.31's and 7.09's, but the premium between an 8 and 9 vintage card is huge and I like the 8.5 grade. I have seen many high-end 8's and slider 9's and they both should be in the same holder - 8.5. The pricing though should not be half-way between an 8 and 9, but rather fit to the curve of SMR vs. grade probably around 1/3 of the way between the SMR of an 8 and 9.

Brian
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Shoebox has a lot of GAI vintage on EBAY now with high BIN prices. Not much action so far.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    Fellow cardnuts,

It's interesting how the grading ecosystem operates. Now, Wentz is selling PSA cards and Varner has totally jumped into bed with GAI. I think Varner made a huge mistake. The hobby hardtimers are heavily involved in the PSA set registry. I know I don't want to make a large purchase and have to sweat the crossover. It becomes costly and time consuming. PSA won the chess game when they cleverly decided not to cross GAI cards. Instead of gaining a further advantage in slabs, they figured it out and ended the major reasons a vintage GAI card is purchased. GAI was a fairly reliable minor league for picking out authenticated cards to enhance our sets. Now, if you buy a GAI card, you have to break the slab. I'm not super conservative, but I don't have to cojones to constantly face the chance of lower grades and possible alterations on expensive cards. Thus, buying GAI has become the equivalent of buying raw. Especially since GAI allows you to give a minimum grade and pay only if the grade is met. That is a glaring conflict of interest.

Many dealers tried to keep some balance so PSA stayed on its toes. Varner decided guaranteed upgrades in GAI holders would be more lucrative. It's going to take millions of dollars of shill buying to substantiate a GAI card's price now. Since Varner is a large player in the industry, I'm sure he'll admit his mistake and come back to PSA. PSA is always happy to have humbled big dealers back from other grading companies. They make their money from slabbing cards. Big dealers submit a lot of cards. If GAI would have built a state of the art set registry a year ago, thing may have been different.

Basically, dealers have always looked for the edge. It's logical since many make their entire income from cards. It's difficult to keep coming up with stunning new raw material these days. People are aware of card values and big collections sitting in grandpa's attic have already sold. Varner felt GAI was an easy way to increase the value of his inventory without doing any work. There are no shortcuts in this game. You have to dig deeper and work harder to grow your business. Varner, obviously, wasn't dedicated enough to put in the effort. Thus, he will suffer. It will take some time for him to regain his credibility, but I'm sure this mistake won't be held against him forever. We've (The collectors) faced the high Beckett, low Beckett dealer nonsense, garage-based self-grading companies, shill bidding, card doctors, etc... A strong PSA inventory priced competitively with Ebay prices is the current recipe for success. I'd be surprised if anyone finds a way around this simple strategy.

Best,

S.
  • Options

<< <i>Especially since GAI allows you to give a minimum grade and pay only if the grade is met. That is a glaring conflict of interest. >>

Exactly. Seems to be additional incentive there for GAI to "meet" a lot of expected grades...
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    I heard GAI is coming out with their own "SMR" magazine.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I haven't submitted to GAI recently, so I can't comment on current practices. In general I have no problem with GAI cards (other than PSA won't cross 'em at par). GAI are quality graders, last I knew, and I appreciate the more precise grade increments. I also don't think their pre-grade program amounts to buying a grade, since you pay the $5 pre-grade fee no matter what. It's only the $5 slab fee that is optional if you agree with the grade. If you disagree you get the card back unslabbed and you're out the initial $5. If they are now allowing big customers to name their grades, that would be a shock to me.

It's just unsettling to see a major dealer like Shoebox to give PSA cards only a token presence in its catalog, as if PSA were a fringe grader and GAI were the dominant market force.

Also unsettling to see a half-grade bump in GAI result in a doubling of the price. It's as if Shoebox is saying "8.5 is so good, it's equal to PSA 9." I'm sure it's a lovely card and to some incremental degree better than PSA 8, but twice the price? I'm lucky if I get 20% more for GAI X.5 over PSA X. So I don't understand what's going on.

Not understanding is unsettling, and makes me want to steer clear until I do understand.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

We have all long awaited the return of the great and powerfull Zardoz.
    I believe that with the recent posts of Scumbi, the gauntlet has now been thrown down.

If anyone dares try to take the crown of 'greatest poster ever' away from Scumbi,
    it can only be Zardoz, so let him resurface now, or forever hold his peace,
    or at least hold it until it starts to feel really uncomfortable ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Especially since GAI allows you to give a minimum grade and pay only if the grade is met. That is a glaring conflict of interest. >>

Exactly. Seems to be additional incentive there for GAI to "meet" a lot of expected grades... >>

This has been discussed on the set registry board.

It is a rumor that is false.

H. Walker
  • Options
    I think that isn't so much a rumour as it is a business practice - in that, revenue for GAI increases as long as expected grades are actually received. If they are, they make $10. If the submitter isn't "happy". then they make $5. What, as the person running GAI, would you want to see happen? This reason alone makes GAI grading a bit suspect, even though, I tend to like their grading more than any other company after PSA.
  • Options
    Oh, and by the way, wolfbear is right. image
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>
    Anyway, I have been reading about certain large dealers recently placing huge submissions with GAI, and buying up GAI cards, and I guess this is proof of that. >>

wv is smoking some stale cardboard with their offers on psa cards too.
    this isnt proof of huge submissions and to me it looks like psa 8s that dealers
    think should be 9s are only coming back 1/2 grades higher.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Mine is currently on its way to the ocean. >>

Wolf
    With those half grade prices - there's a lotto bloat in that catalog - hope you didn't flush! Cause that puppy might back up the plumbing!
    Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Chew....I would love to hear your thoughts on a hobby issue that is not-GAI related.
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    The truth is that PSA controls the card
    grading market, period. Are some people
    disgruntled with them, yes.
    Are many people happy with them, yes.

The truth is that GAI controls the pack
    collecting market. Are many people disgruntled
    with them (including Mark Murphy), yes.
    Are some people happy with them. yes.

However, everyone else please open your eyes
    and see that PSA will continue to dominate the
    vintage card collecting hobby. Unless you have absolutely
    no interest in the value of your vintage collection, go ahead
    and collect every card companies cards.
    However, if you care about the value of your vintage
    collection, then stick with PSA.

I am very happy with the imperfect company called PSA.
    They make many mistakes and so do I.

However, the simple truth is that PSA will control the
    vintage market forever. BGS may control some of the
    newer stuff, but PSA still has an upper hand on that too.

If you are a GAI collector, then hanging out on this
    board is like a liberal democrat hanging out on a
    conservative republican message board.image
  • Options
    PSA doesn't dominate, the collectors do. More collectors have chosen to collect PSA than any other. What controls the market is collectors buying cards, keeping the cards in the holders they were bought in, and putting together a collection you can be proud of. The payoff comes when you go to sell your cards and find out that you do have great cards, and other collectors want to buy them. You don't have this collector driven market with the other grading companies.

A few people get mad at PSA for doing their job and decide to go elsewhere. If your doing your job the best you can there are bound to always be a few people mad at you. A grading company isn't doing their job if they have no complaint department. There isn't anything wrong with PSA that shouldn't be wrong with every good grading company. There are alternatives to PSA, but the people who stand to gain the most from you buying something else, is the person trying to talk you in to buying that something else that he just happens now to be selling. Instinct's telling you to run but greed's saying take a shot.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Wayne Varner's marketing plan is pretty sound. He is one of the few full time dealers that specializes in GAI cards. Some collectors do not want to deal w/ PSA, SGC, Beckett etc... and if they want GAI cards, Wayne has a great inventory and it will fit the bill. Other collectors who want only SGC or PSA will look elsewhere, but he should have the lions share of high end GAI card sales. To have other viable options then just PSA, will keep the entire market competitive and on their toes and thats a good thing...jay
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i agree with jay...competition is the key...I did NOT however know that PSA is not crossing over GAI cards....they simply wont do it??? but they will for SGC or BVG/BGS????

Loth
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    It's not a stated or acknowledged policy, but attempting to cross GAI to PSA without cracking out first is a good way to blow $10 per card and shipping both ways. And I am far from having the most experience here with the dreaded M/G. Others have weighed in on various threads about why this may make sense for PSA from a business standpoint.