Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Talk about supply & demand!

In dusting off my old collection I found I have a Belize KM #50 1976FM (Unc). Whoopee! Nice coin, worth $5.00 in my Krause. Mintage 759 coins. H'uh?
Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• Options
    I assume that British Honduras is not popular among collectors right now image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Ya think? image)
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure there ain't no decimal point there?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. There isn't a decimal point there, and it doesn't seem to be a typo, because I see some others with mintages of one-thousand-something. Neat! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nope. Go figure.

• Options
    What demand?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that the older coins from the same country list for hundreds or thousands
    of dollars and have mintages which are many multiples of this. Where things like
    this are seen in Krause it is many times just an underreporting of the value of the
    more modern coins, but frequently the values are fairly close and it's a reflection
    of the startling lack of demand for coins made since 1950. To a large extent it is
    nearly impossible to gauge the rarity of these later coins because the demand is
    so scant as to yield no information about availability. This also leaves the few peo-
    ple who do collect these without information about supply and the ability to offer a
    reasonable price. All the collector really knows is that he's never seen one and Krause
    lists it for thirty cents. Sellers are reluctant to offer the coin at all if they are aware
    of its scarcity and buyers simply don't see them offered for sale.

In the case of these specific coins the pricing makes a little more sense than it would
    appear on the surface. The older coins were simply ignored at the time of issue and
    had tremendous attrition rates. Those coins which did survive are almost only found
    with extreme amounts of wear often being in far lower grades than most find to be col-
    lectible. The newer coins for the main part didn't circulate at all and have much smaller
    attrition rates. Collectors generally find these far less desirable so may not collect them
    at all.

It should be noted that there are large numbers of collectors starting to collect coins
    from the last half of the 20th century and some of the rarities and scarcer coins are
    beginning to be identified. The greatest causes for this are probably the introduction
    of the Euro which has people interested in the recently obsolete coins and the turn
    of the century which reminds people that time inexoribly marches on.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Great explanation cladking! Now whether these 'sleepers' will eventually be recognized and desired within our lifetimes is another question. image
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Tbirde56.

There are many hundreds of modern world coins which are now listed for 100 times their
    first edition prices by Krause. In most cases the demand for these is still quite limited but
    the price is usually a reflection of what collectors are willing to pay. In some cases these
    new prices seem more indicative of what Krause believes the demand is. There are some
    relatively common moderns that they list for $50 or $100 now. It's entirely possible that
    the demand is sufficient to support such prices but the demand remains mostly invisable at
    least in this country.

It doesn't seem to be as much a question of will or when these coins become appreciated, so
    much as it is will they ever become fully appreciated. Will the market always value older rarity
    far more than newer rarity? There is no way to know the answer to this question, but the
    possibility is that the newer coin could well be valued more than the older coin. This flies in
    the face of the conventional wisdom but there are reasons it may actually happen. Most of
    the newer collectors both here and throughout the world are younger people or people who
    have formed their opinions on collectibles and coins more recently. These people don't see a
    stigma to a coin being made from copper, nickel, or even aluminum. They have grown up with
    such coins and they seem perfectly natural to them. The coins are actually available to look
    through and form collections. They are either in circulation or have been recently demonetized
    so they are widely available. In most cases circulated examples are so common still as to be
    very inexpensive and even the better coins tend to be much cheaper than the more widely
    studied and collected series. Obviously people might tire of collecting these and move on to
    older series or an entirely new hobby before further price hikes are possible but these very in-
    creases are likely to keep the interest level high.

No matter what coins you collect, it is an extremely dynamic and interesting time to be a collector.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Excellent posts cladking! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

<< <i>In dusting off my old collection I found I have a Belize KM #50 1976FM (Unc). Whoopee! Nice coin, worth $5.00 in my Krause. Mintage 759 coins. H'uh? >>

Can you say FRANKLIN MINT??
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    True, but still legal tender in Belize, as opposed to an Elvis "Viva Las Vegas" medal for $39.99.

• Options
    Good read, very thought provoking......image