Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1793 Cent ????

1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check out eBay # 3920506810. Someone is going to be very unhappy.
Have a good day, Gary

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a fake??
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Gallery mint replica with the "COPY" not entirely scratched off.
  • Options
    "Private auction to protect the identities of our customers"

They mean, private auction so no one can warn off anyone
    dumb enough to bid on it!
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at this idiots feedback......UGLY......lots of people screaming "FAKE!"

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    So where will ebay be on this auction? Will they nail them for selling fakes as real?
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    At least the "COPY" removal work was lousy and it could be easily identified.
    Once, I saw an expert work that removed the "COPY" and lowered the grade to VG8 so that it is very hard to tell it is a replica one.
    Buyer be aware.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that really sucks.

As for the quality of the Gallery Mint Replica, top notch. But what a baaaastard for for doing a removal job.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a Royal Oak Mint repro, not a Gallery Mint. (Position of the COPY is the 'tell')

peacockcoins

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone post a link to the eBay fraud division with this auction in the heading??
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't EBay be notified that this coin is a copy (with the word scratched off) and not a genuine coin ?

Something should be done to protect the unknowing. Anyone who has ever owned a Red Book or had access to a reliable coin company wouldn't be fooled. Yet, some unsuspecting person will be taken advantage of and that will leave a bad taste in their mouth, and they'll never again trust another "coin 'dealer' ".
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I have a feeling that if someone wants this coin they are going to have to pay BIG bucks to win it. imageimage
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Fake or not, I don't understand why anyone would bid on an item where everything is so secretive. Buyers are private, links to the items sold in the feedback are private...

That screams "Dude, you're getting scammed" to me.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a Royal Oak Mint repro, not a Gallery Mint. (Position of the COPY is the 'tell') >>

I just checked it against my Gallery Mint and Royal Oak Mint copies. You're right. It is the Royal Oak Mint copy.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    He claims this "coin" is authentic after he was negged. Come on! How much more obvious a fake can you get???!!

And here's a nice case of overgrading!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out there somewhere, P.T. Barnum is laughing.

I'm not sure which is more disgusting- the scam, or the stupidity of the victims.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>t's a Royal Oak Mint repro, not a Gallery Mint. (Position of the COPY is the 'tell') >>

I agree that it is a Royal Oak piece but GMM puts COPY in that same location. It has the wrong obverse variety though to be a GMM reproduction.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    There was a recent post here about this COPY 1877 that was scraped off the same way. This guy's got quite a racket going.
  • Options

<< <i>There was a recent post here about this COPY 1877 that was scraped off the same way. This guy's got quite a racket going. >>

Anyone seller who knew enough to know that the 1877 cent is the "key date" with a mintage of 852,500 would immediately get the coin slabbed for higher resale if they believed it was genuine.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " I have a feeling that if someone wants this coin they are going to have to pay BIG bucks to win it. "

Sounds like there's going to be a non-paying bidder on this one.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now....let's have a moment of quiet sympathy for the successful bidder.......who probably has a "mark" all staked out to sell it to.

• Options
    Now, has anyone submitted this seller to the ebay police yet? I'm really curious to see what teeth the new rules will have.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Update - the generous seller just ended the listing early in order to sell to the current high bidder. The bidder has already thanked him with appropriate feedback. image

Link to feedback
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for you Mark. I'm glad you had the balls to rip this guy via your feedback.

Just when I thought I couldn't respect you more, you top yourself.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Well done Mark!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has he given you a retaliatory hit?

You get the medal of valor for today.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Good Job.

Coinguy1 - The official non-paying bidder of Ebay rip-off artists.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I kinda wish we could all give "attaboy" feedbacks for taking one for the team like this! image
  • Options
    Check the sellers last three purchases.

He was buying positive feedbacks!
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>I have a feeling that if someone wants this coin they are going to have to pay BIG bucks to win it. imageimage >>

I think that might be the case too.
    There's one bidder I see go after this kinda stuff.image

Ray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file